Target character VS breath weapon

Ask your rules questions here!

Moderator: Dice Masters Mod

Target character VS breath weapon

Postby avenka » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:46 am

Hi ! Yesterday I played displacer beast (lesser monstrosity) and I was not sure I was doing it right with its ability (if an opponent's global or chatacter's ability targets this character...). Could you tell me if we did it right ?
1- VS breath weapon : we said displacer's ability was triggered since it received damage from breath weapon...
2- VS energy drain (mummy) : we said it was not triggered because it was not a target, I assigned blockers to the mummy

I'm really not sure about the word "target"...

Thanks in advance !
avenka

Re: Target character VS breath weapon

Postby dmrulesteam » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:54 pm

avenka wrote:Hi ! Yesterday I played displacer beast (lesser monstrosity) and I was not sure I was doing it right with its ability (if an opponent's global or chatacter's ability targets this character...). Could you tell me if we did it right ?
1- VS breath weapon : we said displacer's ability was triggered since it received damage from breath weapon...
2- VS energy drain (mummy) : we said it was not triggered because it was not a target, I assigned blockers to the mummy

I'm really not sure about the word "target"...

Thanks in advance !

I'm inserting Displacer Beast's card text here for convenience of those referring back to this later:
While Displacer Beast is active, if an opponent's Global or character ability targets this character, Displacer Beast deals 2 damage to that opponent.

1) Breath Weapon doesn't target, since it hits ALL of your opponent's character dice. Magic Missile's Global Ability would be an example of something that targeted.
Breath Weapon: When a character die with Breath Weapon X attacks, you may pay X energy. Deal X damage to your opponent and all of their character dice. You may use multiple Breath Weapons in a turn, but only one per character (no matter how many copies of that die are attacking). (DDDM1)
2) Energy Drain doesn't target either, here is the full text of the ability:
Energy Drain: After blockers are assigned, spin each character engaged with a character die with Energy Drain down one level. Character dice at level 1 can’t be spun down. (DDDM1)
Energy Drain doesn't target because it spins EACH character engaged, not TARGET character engaged.

Hope this helps!

-The Dice Masters Rules Team
dmrulesteam

Return to Dice Masters Rules Questions