New Federation Torpedoes modified attack dice

Ask your rules questions here!

Moderator: Star Trek Mods

New Federation Torpedoes modified attack dice

Postby dlewis » Mon May 07, 2018 11:58 am

A friend of mine has challenged my build (He usually wins and didn't like losing ha), I believe the build is legal but I have researched it and due to the new cards it's difficult to find an answer; hopefully you can help.

I am using the new 2 point federation torpedoes from the new starter set, it says:

"The attack value of this weapon is this ship's primary weapon value +1", in my case primary value = 4 + 1 = 5.

I then modify this value using captain donatra on a near ship (+1) and tactical station (+2 / discard), in my case 5 + 1 + 2 = 8.

Is this legal and correct?

My understanding is the 'primary weapon value + 1' is the replacement value which I can then modify up to a maximum of +3.

Regards,

Dafydd.
dlewis

Re: New Federation Torpedoes modified attack dice

Postby stawrulesteam » Mon May 14, 2018 5:37 pm

Yes, this is correct. Setting the attack value of the weapon to 5 counts as a replacement value which can then be further modified by +3 for a total of 8 attack dice.
stawrulesteam

Postby slevitron » Mon May 14, 2018 6:03 pm

Building on that, how does this interaction stack with Merridor- Gorn Ale?

“Activation Phase - Place 3 Time Tokens on this card

Decrease the Captain Skill of the Captain equipped to this ship by up to 2 this game round and increase this ship’s Primary Weapon Value by the same amount this game round.”

So let’s use the same ship from the example with a PWV of 4; can we use Merridor to increase this to 6 this making the Attack Value of the Torpedoes 7 (6+1)?

Can this Value then still be modified by +3 using the same combination of Donatra and Tactical station?

Total attack: 7 + 1 + 2 = 10?
slevitron

Postby stawrulesteam » Tue May 15, 2018 4:03 pm

Always replace before modifying. In this case, the weapon's Attack Value would remain 4 because it's replaced before the ship's PWV is modified to 6. When new replacements and modifications are introduced you always recalculate so the order of effects does not matter.
stawrulesteam

Postby slevitron » Tue May 15, 2018 4:19 pm

Good Afternoon,

One further clarification if you can.

Always replace before modifying. In this case, the weapon's Attack Value would remain 4 because it's replaced before the ship's PWV is modified to 6. When new replacements and modifications are introduced you always recalculate so the order of effects does not matter.

If this is the case would not the ship's PWV be increased to 6 during the activation phase?

Based upon a ruling for dispersive armor it would appear that the Attack Value is set when the weapon is utilized.

2) If the attacking ship is using a secondary weapon that uses the ship's primary weapon value for it's attack value, is this value adjusted due to the effect of Dispersive Armour?

2) The Attack Value of the weapon is calculated each time the weapon is used. If my normally 5 PWV is changed to a 4, the weapon's Attack Value is calculated as a 4, unless something like printed Primary Weapon Value is specified.

Therefore; if I am reading this correctly:

Beginning of Activation Phase: Merridor "Increase this ship's Primary Weapon Value by the same amount this game round."
Combat Phase:
1) Utilized Federation Torpedoes to attack and the weapon checks the value of the ship's PWV; in this case it would be 6. Then it adds +1 making the value of the Federation Torpedoes 7 (Replacement).
2) Modify: Donatra at Range 1 yields +1 Attack Die and Tactical Station Discard yields +2 Attack Dice for a total of 10 Attack Dice.

Thanks in advance,
-Steve
slevitron

Postby stawrulesteam » Tue May 15, 2018 4:40 pm

slevitron wrote:Good Afternoon,

One further clarification if you can.

If this is the case would not the ship's PWV be increased to 6 during the activation phase?

Based upon a ruling for dispersive armor it would appear that the Attack Value is set when the weapon is utilized.

2) If the attacking ship is using a secondary weapon that uses the ship's primary weapon value for it's attack value, is this value adjusted due to the effect of Dispersive Armour?

2) The Attack Value of the weapon is calculated each time the weapon is used. If my normally 5 PWV is changed to a 4, the weapon's Attack Value is calculated as a 4, unless something like printed Primary Weapon Value is specified.

Therefore; if I am reading this correctly:

Beginning of Activation Phase: Merridor "Increase this ship's Primary Weapon Value by the same amount this game round."
Combat Phase:
1) Utilized Federation Torpedoes to attack and the weapon checks the value of the ship's PWV; in this case it would be 6. Then it adds +1 making the value of the Federation Torpedoes 7 (Replacement).
2) Modify: Donatra at Range 1 yields +1 Attack Die and Tactical Station Discard yields +2 Attack Dice for a total of 10 Attack Dice.

Thanks in advance,
-Steve

Dispersive Armor is a replacement, Meridor is a modifier.

Dispersive Armor would decrease the AV of the weapon to 4 because the PWV is replaced and then the AV of the weapon is replaced when used.

However, modifiers are always applied AFTER replacements and always recomputed when a new replacement or modifier is introduced.

Meridor would increase the PWV of the ship to 6. Then, when the ship uses the weapon, it's AV is replaced with the unmodified PWV of the ship because you replace before modifying.

Then, modifiers are calculated, increasing the PWV of the ship to 6.

Ultimately the weapon has an AV of 4, the ship has a PWV of 6, the AV of the weapon can be further modified by +3, the PWV can only be modified by another +1.
stawrulesteam

Return to Star Trek: Attack Wing Rules Questions