Verteron Pulse Trap

Ask your rules questions here!

Moderator: Star Trek Mods

Re: Verteron Pulse Trap

Postby stawrulesteam » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:16 pm

vitoga wrote:Does this pertain to ALL movement within the Trap which include moving into the trap, moving within the trap without leaving the trap and again while moving out of trap?

Yes this includes all movement.
stawrulesteam

Re: Verteron Pulse Trap

Postby stawrulesteam » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:44 pm

crazyvulcan wrote:
stawrulesteam wrote:
dmontgomery wrote:Followup,
As it pertains to cloaked mines, if you previously had an Auxiliary power token and performed a green maneuver, is it removed before the cloaked mine “triggers” thus allowing you the opportunity to perform a scan?
In the same vien, if you perform a red Maneuver, thus resulting in an APT, is it placed before or after the mine triggers and your ship has an opportunity to perform a scan?

Per the Veteron Pulse Trap ruling and rulebook, the effects of a Minefield Token trigger before an Auxiliary Power Token is removed via a green maneuver or other effect. Additionally, checking for a red maneuver happens at the same time and would happen after the effect of Cloaked Mines.

Another followup,

Can we get a clarification on how Cloaked mines now work in the new rules? If the mines trigger after performing the maneuver but before the after movement effect steps. Then how does one perform a scan action as the perform action step happens after the movement step. If so then should not cloaked mines, and Verteron Pulse Trap's effect not happen after the perform action step?

(Page 8) 2. Activation Phase: Each ship moves and performs one
Action. In ascending order of Captain Skill, reveal each
ship’s Maneuver Dial and execute its chosen maneuver.
Immediately after performing its chosen maneuver, each ship
may perform one Action.

Cloaked Mines is an odd card because the Scan Action in its text happens in the middle of resolving its effect rather than during the normal Perform Action Step. It basically rearranges the order of operations.

Let's look at two cases.

Case 1: I have a ship that has an APT that performs a Green Maneuver that triggers Cloaked Mines.

First, I move my ship to find that I have triggered the mines.

Next, I immediately resolve the effects of the Cloak Mines.

The effect of the Cloaked Mines allows me to immediately forego my normal Perform Action Step to perform a Scan action. Unfortunately, because I have an APT, I cannot perform the Scan Action. I then resolve the rest of Cloaked Mines.

After resolving Cloaked Mines, I remove my APT because of my Green Maneuver and proceed to my Perform Action Step as normal.

Case 2: I have a ship that performs a Red Maneuver that triggers Cloaked Mines.

First, I move my ship to find that I have triggered the mines.

Next, I immediately resolve the effects of the Cloak Mines.

The effect of the Cloaked Mines allows me to immediately forego my normal Perform Action Step to perform a Scan Action. I do not currently have an APT so I may forego my normal Perform Action Step to immediately perform a Scan Action. I then resolve the rest of Cloaked Mines.

After resolving Cloaked Mines, I place an APT next to my ship because of my Red Maneuver. I then skip my Perform Action Step because I took a Scan Action per the rules of Cloaked Mines instead.
stawrulesteam

Previous

Return to Star Trek: Attack Wing Rules Questions