Hidden Explosives

Ask your rules questions here!

Moderator: Star Trek Mods

Hidden Explosives

Postby jrkott » Sun May 06, 2018 4:11 pm

When there are no more (Time) Tokens on this card:
You must discard this card. Roll 3 attack dice that cannot be re-rolled or modified. All (Hit) and (Critical) deal damage to the target ship's Hull. Discard the Hidden Explosives Token after the attack is made.

Since Hidden Explosives refers to an "attack," does this mean that this effect goes through all the steps of the Combat Phase as specified under "Combat Effects" on page 21 of the updated rulebook? If so, does this mean that defense dice can be rolled and other defensive abilities used in response to this attack?
jrkott

Re: Hidden Explosives

Postby stawrulesteam » Mon May 14, 2018 5:38 pm

Because Hidden Explosives is a Combat Effet and more specifically an attack, you follow all of the steps of the normal Combat Phase. Therefore, you can roll defense dice, use effects, etc. that you could normall use during an attack.
stawrulesteam

Postby wiegeabo » Mon May 14, 2018 7:16 pm

Can the Hidden Explosives attack dice be increased in any way.

Exampe: could Donatra add +1. What about other effects that can up a secondary weapon's value?

Can it receive a range bonus?
wiegeabo

"Effects and Ect" Clarification.

Postby crazyvulcan » Tue May 15, 2018 11:09 am

I have a few follow up questions for what you mean by using effects for the defense dice seeing as this is considered an attack. What exactly would be meant by this?

1) Does Will Riker(Hood) or Tom Paris add their +1 defense die and dose Riker convert the BS?

2)Can I spend tokens like Evade to add to my defense roll?

3) If my Captain or ship allows me to reroll defense dice may I?

4) What about attack cancelation or mitigation effects such as Rom, who reduces an attack by -2 dice or Diplomacy that cancels that attack? Or IKS Drovana that can discard to cancel a Hit or Crit?

The card clearly states that the attack dice cannot be modified or rerolled? So Karr cannot add his +1 attack or he rerolls not any other of the married effects.

5) What about if my ship has a Scan Token or other upgrade that affects the targes rolling of defense dice, like Nanculas?

6) Would you be willing to answer if there are future plans to further errata this card to better balance the changes you are discussing internally?
crazyvulcan

Postby j_harley50 » Tue May 15, 2018 7:14 pm

Hi, Quick follow up regarding HE. Can belanna's codes be used in conjucntion with this card to allow the time tokens to be placed on that upgrade instead allowing it to trigger immediatley?

Thank you.
j_harley50

Postby stawrulesteam » Fri May 18, 2018 6:32 pm

j_harley50 wrote:Hi, Quick follow up regarding HE. Can belanna's codes be used in conjucntion with this card to allow the time tokens to be placed on that upgrade instead allowing it to trigger immediatley?

Thank you.

No, B'Elanna's Codes and other cards that do not explicitly state they can be used before the start of the game (i.e. during Setup) or affect fleet construction cannot be used before the start of the game. The start of the game is after the last steps of Setup, at the very beginning of the first Planning Phase. Hidden Explosives happens during Setup, before the start of the game.
stawrulesteam

Postby stawrulesteam » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:06 pm

wiegeabo wrote:Can the Hidden Explosives attack dice be increased in any way.

Exampe: could Donatra add +1. What about other effects that can up a secondary weapon's value?

Can it receive a range bonus?

The text on Hidden Explosives states "Roll 3 attack dice that cannot be re-rolled or modified." Therefore you cannot increase the attack dice in any way.
stawrulesteam

Re: "Effects and Ect" Clarification.

Postby stawrulesteam » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:18 pm

crazyvulcan wrote:I have a few follow up questions for what you mean by using effects for the defense dice seeing as this is considered an attack. What exactly would be meant by this?

1) Does Will Riker(Hood) or Tom Paris add their +1 defense die and dose Riker convert the BS?

2)Can I spend tokens like Evade to add to my defense roll?

3) If my Captain or ship allows me to reroll defense dice may I?

4) What about attack cancelation or mitigation effects such as Rom, who reduces an attack by -2 dice or Diplomacy that cancels that attack? Or IKS Drovana that can discard to cancel a Hit or Crit?

The card clearly states that the attack dice cannot be modified or rerolled? So Karr cannot add his +1 attack or he rerolls not any other of the married effects.

5) What about if my ship has a Scan Token or other upgrade that affects the targes rolling of defense dice, like Nanculas?

6) Would you be willing to answer if there are future plans to further errata this card to better balance the changes you are discussing internally?

This is a normal attack so you can do anything that you can to a normal attack with the exception of modifying or re-roll attack dice. You cannot add or subtract attack dice or results, you cannot convert attack dice, you cannot re-roll attack dice. Additionally, to clarify, there has been no errata to Hidden Explosives all of the above is clarification on how the card works.
stawrulesteam

Return to Star Trek: Attack Wing Rules Questions