Global Retaliation

Ask your rules questions here!

Moderator: Dice Masters Mod

Global Retaliation

Postby madmurdok » Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:02 am

Are there any Globals that are reactionary?
Example:
During my Main Step, I target an opposing character die (with 2A/2D) with a Thrown Brick die
"Deal 1 damage to target character die. If that character die is not KO'd, Prep a die from your bag and add this die to your Prep Area"

Can my opponent reactively use the Wonder Woman Global - "Pay mask. Change the target of an action die that targets a character die to the character die of your choice."
OR
the Lois Lane Global - "Pay shield. Prevent 1 damage to target character die or player." ??

Or... are Globals like these only usable during the two Global windows, like everything else?

If these above Globals can be used in a reactionary capacity, what are some other Globals that may be used in this way,
or how does one determine whether or not another Global may be used in this way??
madmurdok

Re: Global Retaliation

Postby dmrulesteam » Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:15 pm

Are there any Globals that are reactionary?

There are many Global abilities that are reactive (meaning the ability will specify that they can only be used “when” or “if” something happens).

A better descriptor for your questions is an ability that prevents, reduces, or redirects an effect.

The following rule is germane to your questions:
“The only thing that can interrupt this system [the queue] are abilities (Global or character) that would prevent, reduce, or redirect an effect (such as damage). These would “interrupt” and happen immediately, potentially preventing other effects from triggering.” Source: X-Men Forever Rule Book, Effect Timing and Resolution section, p26

Example: During my Main Step, I target an opposing character die (with 2A/2D) with a Thrown Brick die: "Deal 1 damage to target character die. If that character die is not KO'd, Prep a die from your bag and add this die to your Prep Area"
Can my opponent reactively use the Wonder Woman Global - "Pay mask. Change the target of an action die that targets a character die to the character die of your choice.” OR the Lois Lane Global - "Pay shield. Prevent 1 damage to target character die or player." ??

Yes to both questions. Refer to the above cited rule.

Or... are Globals like these only usable during the two Global windows, like everything else?

No. Refer to the above cited rule.

If these above Globals can be used in a reactionary capacity, what are some other Globals that may be used in this way, or how does one determine whether or not another Global may be used in this way??

If an ability prevents, reduces, or redirects (e.g. change the target) an effect, then it can be used in this way.
dmrulesteam

Return to Dice Masters Rules Questions