Clarification on the Rush Keyword

Ask your rules questions here!

Moderator: Dice Masters Mod

Clarification on the Rush Keyword

Postby jbouwme » Mon May 02, 2022 8:35 pm

Hello Rules Experts,

I am looking for clarification on the Rush Keyword.

From the Keywords page, Rush reads: Rush: If you draw this die during your Clear and Draw step, draw and roll an extra die for each die of the indicated type drawn during that step. (MDM13)

I interpret this as each die with Rush will Rush off each matching die type. However, there is a different interpretation of Rush in the community. That interpretation is that Rush is based on the character being drawn, not each individual die, and that multiples of the same character do not trigger a Rush sequence.

Example:
Groot: Highly Intelligent reads Rush - Bolt
Rocket Raccoon: Make Like a Tree reads Rush - Shield

During my clear and draw step, I draw 2 Groot dice (shield), 1 Rocket Raccoon die (bolt), and 1 sidekick die.

Which is the correct way to Rush in this case?
1. Each Groot die sees the Rocket Raccoon die (bolt), and I pull 2 extra dice; Rocket Racoon sees 2 Groot dice (shield), and I pull 2 extra dice, for a total of 4 more dice?
3. Groot sees the Rocket Raccoon die (bolt) and I pull 1 die, and Rocket sees 2 Groot dice (shield), and I pull 2 more dice, for a total of 3 more dice?

Now I am pulling either 3 or 4 more dice. Let’s say that in the remaining draw, I get another Rocket Raccoon die.

1. Does Rocket Raccoon Rush from the previous 2 Groot dice for 2 more dice?
2. Rocket has already triggered a Rush sequence, so no further dice are drawn?

I appreciate your help with clarifying this Keyword.
jbouwme

Re: Clarification on the Rush Keyword

Postby dmrulesteam » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:06 pm

During my clear and draw step, I draw 2 Groot dice (shield), 1 Rocket Raccoon die (bolt), and 1 sidekick die.
Which is the correct way to Rush in this case?
1. Each Groot die sees the Rocket Raccoon die (bolt), and I pull 2 extra dice; Rocket Racoon sees 2 Groot dice (shield), and I pull 2 extra dice, for a total of 4 more dice?
3. Groot sees the Rocket Raccoon die (bolt) and I pull 1 die, and Rocket sees 2 Groot dice (shield), and I pull 2 more dice, for a total of 3 more dice?

1st Groot – triggers Rush for bolt characters, draw an additional die for Rocket (bolt); Rocket – triggers Rush for shield characters and draw two additional dice because of the 2 Groots (shield); 2nd Groot – draw another die because of Rocket. Rush doesn’t apply to Sidekicks. Final result, you’d draw four additional dice.
See point (2) below.

Now I am pulling either 3 or 4 more dice. Let’s say that in the remaining draw, I get another Rocket Raccoon die.
1. Does Rocket Raccoon Rush from the previous 2 Groot dice for 2 more dice?
2. Rocket has already triggered a Rush sequence, so no further dice are drawn?

Following the situation in answer above, of the 4 additional dice drawn one is Rocket, you would draw two additional dice for each Groot.
See point (2) below.

Rush Clarifications:
(1) If a die with Rush is drawn, then draw an additional die for each die with the stated energy attribute drawn afterward.
Example: You draw a die with “Rush – bolt” and 1 other die with the bolt energy type. You would draw 1 additional die. If the additional die drawn is also a bolt energy type, you would draw another die.

(2) Once a specific Character die with Rush is drawn, any identical die drawn will not trigger Rush, even if both identical dice are drawn at the same time.
Example: You draw a die with “Rush – shield” and 2 other dice, one with a shield energy type and a copy of the Rush die. You would draw only 1 additional die.
NOTE: This clarification has been changed - see below.

(3) A die with Rush will also trigger off of the energy type of a different Rush die drawn.
Example: You draw 3 dice: a “Rush – bolt” die that has a shield energy type, a “Rush – shield” die that has a bolt energy type, and a die with a bolt energy type. You would draw an additional 3 dice: two for the “Rush – bolt” and one for the “Rush – shield”.

(4) Dice that are in the Prep Area before the Clear and Draw Step are not included when determining if the Rush ability is triggered.
Examples: (a) You have a die with the fist energy type in your Prep Area. You draw a “Rush – fist” die during your Clear and Draw Step and no other die with the fist energy type. The Rush ability would not be triggered.
(b) You have a die with a “Rush – fist” ability in your Prep Area. The Rush ability would not trigger for any die drawn with a fist energy because the Rush – fist die was not drawn this turn.

Edited for incorrect application of Rush keyword in point 4 and to correct number of drawn dice in first answer.
Last edited by dmrulesteam on Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Update point (2) of Rush Clarifications
dmrulesteam

Re: Clarification on the Rush Keyword

Postby dmrulesteam » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:36 pm

After further review, the following changes point (2) of the Rush Clarifications above to depict the original intent of the Rush ability:

(2) Once a specific Character die with Rush is drawn, any identical Character die drawn will trigger its Rush ability, even if both identical dice are drawn at the same time.

Examples: (a) You draw a die with “Rush – shield”, a Sidekick die, a die with a shield energy type and a copy of the “Rush – shield” die. You would draw 2 additional dice.
(b) You draw a die with “Rush – bolt”, two Sidekick dice, and a die with a bolt energy type. You draw 1 additional die, and it is a copy of the “Rush – bolt” die previously drawn. The second Rush die drawn will initiate its Rush ability for the bolt energy type die previously drawn, drawing another additional die. The die drawn is a bolt energy type die. You would draw two additional dice because this bolt energy die initiates the Rush ability of the two “Rush – bolt” dice previously drawn.
dmrulesteam

Return to Dice Masters Rules Questions