Hit Monkey Timing

Ask your rules questions here!

Moderator: Dice Masters Mod

Hit Monkey Timing

Postby basementcuts » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:51 pm

We came across an interesting timing question during an event last night, wondering if you can tell us if we ruled it right.

Hit Monkey - He's a Hitman. Who's a Monkey.
When blocked, you may pay [Fist] to assign Hit-Monkey's combat damage to the defending player this turn as if it were not blocked (instead of dealing combat damage to blocking character dice).

My opponent moves 2A/2D Hit monkey to the attack zone. I block with a 1/1 Sidekick. My opponent immediately pays a fist for Hit monkey's ability. Does Hit Monkey do the 2 damage right away or do we then wait, go to globals and deal the damage to me after he has had a chance to buff Hit Monkey's Attack stats via globals?
basementcuts

Re: Hit Monkey Timing

Postby dmrulesteam » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:43 pm

basementcuts wrote:We came across an interesting timing question during an event last night, wondering if you can tell us if we ruled it right.

Hit Monkey - He's a Hitman. Who's a Monkey.
When blocked, you may pay [Fist] to assign Hit-Monkey's combat damage to the defending player this turn as if it were not blocked (instead of dealing combat damage to blocking character dice).

My opponent moves 2A/2D Hit monkey to the attack zone. I block with a 1/1 Sidekick. My opponent immediately pays a fist for Hit monkey's ability. Does Hit Monkey do the 2 damage right away or do we then wait, go to globals and deal the damage to me after he has had a chance to buff Hit Monkey's Attack stats via globals?

Hit Monkey is only changing where he assigns the combat damage, not when he deals the combat damage. Also to be explicit, he's dealing the damage as if he was unblocked so you can't split it between the Sidekick and the defending player. So you'd pay the Fist energy when Hit Monkey is blocked, then players would have a chance to buff, debuff, target, etc.

-The Dice Masters Rules Team
dmrulesteam

Postby memmek » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:28 pm

What happens if Flying Car: Buckle Up! is played during the global/action window in the attack step, after the fist has already been paid to reassign Flying Monkey's damage?

Target character die you control gets +3A and +3D and loses all character abilities. (Global Abilities are not character abilities.)
memmek

Postby dyerkitty » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:46 pm

Since Hit Monkey can deal his damage as though he wasn't blocked, does he meet the requirements for The Front Line or is he still considered to be blocked?

The Front Line (relevant text)
Unblocked attacking character dice gain +3A until end of turn.
dyerkitty

Postby dmrulesteam » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:23 pm

memmek wrote:What happens if Flying Car: Buckle Up! is played during the global/action window in the attack step, after the fist has already been paid to reassign Flying Monkey's damage?

Target character die you control gets +3A and +3D and loses all character abilities. (Global Abilities are not character abilities.)

Hit Monkey would lose the ability to assign the damage directly to the player.

dyerkitty wrote:Since Hit Monkey can deal his damage as though he wasn't blocked, does he meet the requirements for The Front Line or is he still considered to be blocked?

The Front Line (relevant text)
Unblocked attacking character dice gain +3A until end of turn.

Hit Monkey isn't unblocked, The Front Line wouldn't apply to his A.

-The Dice Masters Rules Team
dmrulesteam

Return to Dice Masters Rules Questions