Human Torch "Flame On" Global Ability

Ask your rules questions here!

Moderator: Dice Masters Mod

Human Torch "Flame On" Global Ability

Postby scorpion0x17 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:05 pm

Hi,

Could you please clarify the Human Torch "Flame On" Global Ability, specifically:

1. Is the Human Torch global a separate source of damage from the initial global/action?

(I.e, If I Power Bolt Hulk Green Goliath, and then pay a bolt, does Hulk's ability trigger twice?)

2. Does the target of the Human Torch global have to be the same as the target of the initial global/action?

(I.e, If I Power Bolt an opponents character, can I then pay a bolt to damage my own Hulk?)
scorpion0x17

Re: Human Torch "Flame On" Global Ability

Postby dmrulesteam » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:34 pm

1. It isn't a new source, it can only increase damage being dealt.
(So no on the Hulk example)
2. It can only add damage to a character who is already taking damage. So if you were using Power Bolt to do 2 damage to your opponent's character with 3 defense, Human Torch could help you KO them. However, if you were trying to KO your opponent's Doctor Strange with 9 defense, you couldn't pay 7 Bolts for Human Torch's ability.
(If you were already doing damage to the Hulk, yes, but typically there isn't a reason since it isn't a new source and wouldn't trigger his ability an additional time)
dmrulesteam

Postby mesademon » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:37 pm

dmrulesteam wrote:1. It isn't a new source, it can only increase damage being dealt.
2. It can only add damage to a character who is already taking damage. So if you were using Power Bolt to do 2 damage to your opponent's character with 3 defense, Human Torch could help you KO them. However, if you were trying to KO your opponent's Doctor Strange with 9 defense, you couldn't pay 7 Bolts for Human Torch's ability.
(If you were already doing damage to the Hulk, yes, but typically there isn't a reason since it isn't a new source and wouldn't trigger his ability an additional time)

Why wouldn't you be able to do the 7 damage to Dr.Strange? I was under the impression that this passage from the rulebook allows it.

During the main step and attack step, both players can use global abilities. In many cases, global abilities may be used more than once if the cost can be paid multiple times. As with purchasing dice, you can partially spend non-generic energy. Global abilities that are paid for in a batch resolve as a single effect.
mesademon

Postby dmrulesteam » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:32 pm

mesademon wrote:
dmrulesteam wrote:1. It isn't a new source, it can only increase damage being dealt.

Why wouldn't you be able to do the 7 damage to Dr.Strange? I was under the impression that this passage from the rulebook allows it.

During the main step and attack step, both players can use global abilities. In many cases, global abilities may be used more than once if the cost can be paid multiple times. As with purchasing dice, you can partially spend non-generic energy. Global abilities that are paid for in a batch resolve as a single effect.

"In many cases" but not every case. Certain abilities, like Human Torch's and War Machine's need something to happen for them to react to. They may only react in the appropriate window, and only react once. After the first use, you're no longer reacting to the initial damage, you're reacting to an increase in damage or in War Machine's case you're reacting to a Global and not a character dealing damage to your opponent during the Attack Step.

-The Dice Masters Rules Team
dmrulesteam

Return to Dice Masters Rules Questions