Out of Play vs The Used Pile

Ask your rules questions here!

Moderator: Dice Masters Mod

Out of Play vs The Used Pile

Postby jbouwme » Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:21 pm

Good day to our friends at WizKids.

I am hoping that you can rule on this once and for all, as it routinely pops up as a discussion point amongst players.

From the X-Men Forever Rule Book:

“Card text always supercedes basic rule text. If two cards directly conflict, the one that says ‘you can’t beats the one that says ‘you can.’”

“Out of Play: This is a special area that is not represented on the play mat. When you spend Energy during your turn, or use an Action Die, it goes Out of Play until the end of the turn when it is moved to the Used Pile. Dice that are Out of Play cannot be interacted with by any game mechanics, and will not be used to refill the bag if it runs out mid-turn. Unblocked attackers also go Out of Play, as well as any dice sent from the Field or Reserve Pool “to the Used Pile” during your turn. The Out of Play area does not exist during your Opponent’s turn…”

The issue is the conflict between “basic rules text”, which dictates card text supercedes rules text, and “to the Used Pile”, which is card text. Therefore, when a card says to send a die “to the Used Pile”, some players believe that this card text will supercede the rules text of “Out of Play.”

I am of the belief that the basic rules text, as part of the Fundamental Rules of the game, would send the die Out of Play, even if the card says “to the Used Pile.” Am I correct in this belief?

Thank you for your time.
JoceStitch
jbouwme

Re: Out of Play vs The Used Pile

Postby dmrulesteam » Mon May 02, 2022 1:21 pm

jbouwme wrote:Good day to our friends at WizKids.

I am hoping that you can rule on this once and for all, as it routinely pops up as a discussion point amongst players.

From the X-Men Forever Rule Book:

“Card text always supercedes basic rule text. If two cards directly conflict, the one that says ‘you can’t beats the one that says ‘you can.’”

“Out of Play: This is a special area that is not represented on the play mat. When you spend Energy during your turn, or use an Action Die, it goes Out of Play until the end of the turn when it is moved to the Used Pile. Dice that are Out of Play cannot be interacted with by any game mechanics, and will not be used to refill the bag if it runs out mid-turn. Unblocked attackers also go Out of Play, as well as any dice sent from the Field or Reserve Pool “to the Used Pile” during your turn. The Out of Play area does not exist during your Opponent’s turn…”

The issue is the conflict between “basic rules text”, which dictates card text supercedes rules text, and “to the Used Pile”, which is card text. Therefore, when a card says to send a die “to the Used Pile”, some players believe that this card text will supercede the rules text of “Out of Play.”

I am of the belief that the basic rules text, as part of the Fundamental Rules of the game, would send the die Out of Play, even if the card says “to the Used Pile.” Am I correct in this belief?

Thank you for your time.
JoceStitch

Dice sent to their owner's Used Pile during that player's turn (generally) still go to Out of Play even if a card says it would send that die to the Used Pile.
If this is about Moira: It's Not a Dream, she is specifically replacing the use by sending to the Used Pile.
While for certain cards it might be obvious which player's turn the effect happens on, the wording defaults to sending to the Used Pile, since the general rules let you know what to do when you can't (it goes Out of Play). There isn't a rule for the reverse, where you'd attempt to send a die Out of Play but can't, since the instructions from cards should never present such a situation.
Last edited by dmrulesteam on Mon May 02, 2022 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited a typo for clarity
dmrulesteam

Return to Dice Masters Rules Questions