The Joker: Obsessive

Ask your rules questions here!

Moderator: Dice Masters Mod

The Joker: Obsessive

Postby jackalopespam » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:48 pm

When fielded, pick a character die replacing all previous choices. While The Joker is active, when that character die is KO'd, your opponent moves a die from their Prep Area to their Used Pile

A few questions concerning The Joker and the use of "Character Die" in the game text.

First, does The Joker's ability apply to all copies of that selected character die? Example, I target an opposing Robin die. If a different opposing Robin die is KO'd, does my opponent still move a prepped die to used?

If not, should that originally targeted die return to the field would the effect still apply? (Assuming Joker never left the field)

Can Joker choose a Sidekick in the field? Can I only choose opposing character dice?

And last, a timing confirmation. Assume my opponent's prep area is empty and the targeted opposing die is KO'd. That die should enter the prep area before resolving The Joker's ability, correct? Meaning that die would need to be moved to used. (If it were the only die KO'd)
jackalopespam

Re: The Joker: Obsessive

Postby dmrulesteam » Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:10 pm

First, does The Joker's ability apply to all copies of that selected character die? Example, I target an opposing Robin die. If a different opposing Robin die is KO'd, does my opponent still move a prepped die to used?

Yes and yes. Joker’s ability applies to all copies of that picked character die..

Can Joker choose a Sidekick in the field? Can I only choose opposing character dice?

To be consistent with similar rulings (e.g. Poison Ivy – Pushed Too Far), the ability should state:

When fielded, pick a non-Sidekick character die replacing all previous choices.
And last, a timing confirmation. Assume my opponent's prep area is empty and the targeted opposing die is KO'd. That die should enter the prep area before resolving The Joker's ability, correct? Meaning that die would need to be moved to used. (If it were the only die KO'd)

Correct. Character dice that are KO'd immediately go to the Prep Area, unless otherwise stated. Therefore, if the die KO’d by Joker is the only die in the Prep Area, it must be moved to the Used Pile.

For completeness though not asked in this post, if The Joker is removed from the Field Zone temporarily (e.g. Intimidate), his selection is not lost. Joker's ability has continuity language that would enable him to retain the prevention ability (i.e. being "while active").

Refer to the following ruling for comparison:

https://win.wizkids.com/bb/viewtopic.ph ... 49b10eef03
dmrulesteam

Re: The Joker: Obsessive

Postby dmrulesteam » Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:57 pm

To answer the second question, only opposing Character dice can be chosen.
dmrulesteam

Return to Dice Masters Rules Questions