C Hawkman Timing

Ask your rules questions here!

Moderator: Dice Masters Mod

C Hawkman Timing

Postby jackalopespam » Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:36 am

If you fielded a non-Sidekick character die besides Hawkman this turn, Hawkman gets +1A.

I assume that since the text says "if" this would only count once per turn, not each time a non-sidekick, non-Hawkman is fielded. Please confirm.

Suppose I have and empty field. Then, I field Shazam (text doesn't matter) and then field Hawkman. If these are the only two dice I field this turn, Hawkman's criteria for the buff has been satisfied as written. However, since Hawkman was not active when I fielded the "non-sidekick character die besides Hawkman," would Hawkman receive the buff?

Assuming Hawkman does not receive the buff in the previous scenario... Suppose I have a Hawkman in the field already, then I field Shazam followed by Hawkman. The original Hawkman would receive the buff, but does that grant the buff to the Hawkman fielded later?

Last, should this buff be considered an applied effect or a persistent effect?
jackalopespam

Re: C Hawkman Timing

Postby dmrulesteam » Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:08 pm

I assume that since the text says "if" this would only count once per turn, not each time a non-sidekick, non-Hawkman is fielded. Please confirm.

Correct. The condition is at least one non-Sidekick Character die has to be fielded along with a Hawkman die. Multiple non-Sidekick Character dice fielded this turn will not increase the modifier value.

Suppose I have and empty field. Then, I field Shazam (text doesn't matter) and then field Hawkman. If these are the only two dice I field this turn, Hawkman's criteria for the buff has been satisfied as written. However, since Hawkman was not active when I fielded the "non-sidekick character die besides Hawkman," would Hawkman receive the buff?

Yes, Hawkman would receive the modifier. The order of fielded dice does not matter as long as it’s at least one non-Sidekick Character die and a Hawkman die.

This ability is a ‘cause and effect’ construct, intended as such:
“If you fielded a non-Sidekick character die besides Hawkman this turn, then Hawkman gets +1A."
If the first portion is resolved (the ‘if’ statement), then the second portion (the ‘then’ statement) can be applied to any active Hawkman dice.

Assuming Hawkman does not receive the buff in the previous scenario... Suppose I have a Hawkman in the field already, then I field Shazam followed by Hawkman. The original Hawkman would receive the buff, but does that grant the buff to the Hawkman fielded later?

Yes. If the first effect is resolved, then any active Hawkman dice would receive the modifier. The second effect does not stipulate that only fielded Hawkman dice this turn get the modifier. To clarify the scenario:

Start of Main Step, you have an active Hawkman die (#1).
Field Shazam.
Field a Hawkman die (#2) – first portion of the ability has now been resolved.
Hawkman #1 gets +1A and Hawkman #2 gets +1A – resolving the second portion of the ability.
If you were to field a third Hawkman die this turn, it would also get +1A.

Last, should this buff be considered an applied effect or a persistent effect?

This modifier is an Applied effect. Once the condition is resolved (the ‘if’ portion of the ability), the modifier is applied to any active Hawkman dice. This modifier is cleared at the end of turn.
dmrulesteam

Return to Dice Masters Rules Questions