Redirecting Mutation

Ask your rules questions here!

Moderator: Dice Masters Mod

Redirecting Mutation

Postby jackalopespam » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:53 pm

Mutation
Swap target character die in the Field Zone with target non-sidekick character dice in that player's Used Pile. Spin that character die to level 1. (This does not trigger "when fielded" effects.)

There are a couple questions concerning how the Wonder Woman global allows this action to be redirected and some possible ramifications.

Global: Pay mask. Change the target of an action die that targets a character die to the character die of your choice.

1) Since Mutation says "target" for the die in the used pile, this is considered targeting. Does this mean that the die in the used pile can then be redirected? If the die in used can be redirected, would spending 1 mask redirect one of the targets or both?

2) Suppose an opponent targets my character die in the field and a non-sidekick character die in my used pile. If I spend a Mask to change the target in the field, can I change it to an opposing character die? Would this swap the opponent's fielded die with my die in used or would the die in used also need to be redirected? (If it's even possible to redirect the target in used)
jackalopespam

Re: Redirecting Mutation

Postby dmrulesteam » Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:45 am

1) Since Mutation says "target" for the die in the used pile, this is considered targeting. Does this mean that the die in the used pile can then be redirected? If the die in used can be redirected, would spending 1 mask redirect one of the targets or both?

No and no.
The words “with target non-Sidekick character dice in that player’s Used Pile” are intended to specify the die that is to be swapped and not open the door for targeting effects at that die. The word “target” in this phrase is superfluous.

Wonder Woman’s global can redirect Mutation, but only the Character die in the Field Zone that is being targeted, not the Character die being pulled out of the Used Plie. The player who applies Mutation still decides which Character die is pulled out of the Used Pile.

For example, your opponent has a Sidekick and Character die [A] active, and wants to apply Mutation to a Sidekick for Character die (B) in the Used Pile. Your opponent also has another Character die [C] in the Used Pile. You have an active Sidekick and two Character dice, [D] and [E], in your Used Pile. There are three possible outcomes for Mutation being redirected:

(1) You redirect Mutation with the Wonder Woman global from your opponent's Sidekick to his active Character die [A]. This die will be sent to the Used Pile and your opponent can still choose whether they want it replaced with Character die (B) or Character die [C] from their Used Pile.
(2) You redirect Mutation from your opponent's Sidekick to your Sidekick. Your opponent now chooses whether to swap your Sidekick with Character die [D] or Character die [E] from your Used Pile.
(3) Mutation is redirected to an active Character die whose owner has no applicable dice in the Used Pile (e.g. all the dice are Sidekick dice, Action dice, or there are no dice in the Used Pile). In this case, Mutation fizzles, but the redirect from the Wonder Woman global itself is still legal (i.e. you can still spend the 1 mask to apply the global).

2) Suppose an opponent targets my character die in the field and a non-sidekick character die in my used pile. If I spend a Mask to change the target in the field, can I change it to an opposing character die?

You can change the target from your active Character die to an opposing active Character die (see point (2) above). In this case, your opponent would choose a die from their Used Pile to swap.

Would this swap the opponent's fielded die with my die in used or would the die in used also need to be redirected? (If it's even possible to redirect the target in used)

No, the opponent would swap an active Character die with a non-Sidekick Character die from their Used Pile.
dmrulesteam

Postby jbouwme » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:35 am

Thank you for this comprehensive ruling. I have a further question regarding the redirect if there are no legal targets in the Used Pile. Would this still count as using an action die if the effect fizzles as described above in example (3)?

Examples:

General Zod: Dru-Zod: When you use an action die, General Zoe gets +1A and Fast until end of turn.
Lilandra: Majestrix: While Lilandra is active, your opponent must pay 2 life to use an Action Die or Global Abilty.
Attune: While a character you control with Attune is active, when you use an action die, that character deals 1 damage to target player or character die (no matter how many of that character’s dice are active).

Thank you,
JoceStitch
jbouwme

Postby dmrulesteam » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:47 pm

In example (3) above, the legal target in this scenario is the Character die in the Field Zone, which Mutation’s ability is applied. When Mutation attempts to resolve, there are no applicable dice in the Used Pile. The effect – in this case the initiation of the ability to swap a target Character die – was still used. Just because the swap was not completed, for reasons cited in Example (3), does not mean the Action die was not used.

Where Mutation could not be used is if there are no Character dice in a Field Zone, but non-Sidekick Character dice in an applicable Used Pile. In this case, no legal targets exist to apply this ability.

Note: To prevent confusion, Example (3) has been edited to state “applicable dice” instead of “legal targets”.
dmrulesteam

Return to Dice Masters Rules Questions