Adam Warlock and Opposing Energize Effects

Ask your rules questions here!

Moderator: Dice Masters Mod

Adam Warlock and Opposing Energize Effects

Postby kksimons » Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:26 pm

Adam Warlock: Leader of the Infinity Watch - While active, when a die with Energize is spent as energy and leaves the Reserve Pool, roll it. On any energy face, use its Energize effect. (This die does not return to the Reserve Pool, regardless of the result.)

Black Widow: Widow’s Hunt - Energize - Spin target opposing character die down 1 level. If that character die is already level 1, spin it to an energy face (of your choice).

If I have Adam Warlock active on my team, does he trigger when my opponent spends a die with an Energize trigger?

For example, my opponent holds back a Black Widow: Widow’s Hunt die on a single energy face and uses it for the Static Field global to send back an attacker. If my Adam Warlock is active, does he trigger when my opponent’s die is spent?

If so, and the die rolls on energy for the check, do I then use my opponent’s Black Widow Energize effect to spin one of my opponent’s dice down 1 level?
kksimons

Re: Adam Warlock and Opposing Energize Effects

Postby dmrulesteam » Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:50 pm

Yes, this ability initiates for dice with Energize controlled by both players.

In this situation, the controller of Adam Warlock would apply Black Widow’s Energize ability.

In the rare situation where both players have an active Adam Warlock die, both players would use any Energize abilities.
dmrulesteam

Postby rawtravel » Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:41 am

Jubilee: Rebellious Nature
Energize: If you have less life than your opponent, you may immediately field this die for free at level 2

If I have SR Adam Warlock in my field and I have less life than my opponent…

1.) if I spend Jubilee as energy during my turn, and I reroll it on energy with Adam’s ability, do I field that die at level 2?

2.) if I spend Jubilee as energy during my opponents turn, and I reroll it on energy with Adam’s ability, do I field that die at level 2?

3.) I assume that nothing happens if my opponent spends Jubilee, no matter whose turn it is, nothing happens, correct?
rawtravel

Postby dmrulesteam » Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:04 pm

Yes to each of these questions, based on the situation that you have less life than your opponent.

We assume the basis for questions 1 & 2 pertain to the initiation of an Energize ability if the die is in a play area for unrolled dice. Adam Warlock’s ability specifically states to use the rolled die’s Energize effect with no restrictions based on this sequence: roll die / check for X / if X do Y. So, it is irrelevant to consider the Energize die is in the Used Pile or Out of Play. In the Used Pile, a die would normally not initiate its Energize ability if rolled under a situation that does not apply this sequence, which is the case in this previous ruling on Domino – Not Really A Party Girl.

https://win.wizkids.com/bb/viewtopic.ph ... bbefdce1d1

Also note, the phrase “and leaves the Reserve Pool” means that if a die with Energize is on a double energy face and you only spend one of those energy, you would not initiate Adam Warlock’s ability because the die would not leave the Reserve Pool. Only if you spend both energy simultaneously or if the die is on a single energy face and that energy is spent would you roll that die with Energize.
dmrulesteam

Postby dmrulesteam » Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:15 am

We have received several follow-up questions about this ability and its relation to this previous ruling on Adam Warlock:

https://win.wizkids.com/bb/viewtopic.ph ... 5bb15e083c

The questions stem from confusion about where the Energize die is located based on our ruling and the words “and leaves the Reserve Pool”. The intent of this ability is an Energize die would be rolled before it would leave the Reserve Pool. Once the die’s Energize ability is used, that die has now moved to the Used Pile or Out of Play - it does not return to the Reserve Pool. If a portion of an Energize ability has a “reroll this die” effect, any double energy result from the reroll would not initiate Energize again because the die is now in the Used Pile or Out of Play, which is consistent with the ruling cited above.

Therefore, for clarity, read Adam Warlock’s ability as:

While active, when a die with Energize is spent as energy, before that die leaves the Reserve Pool, roll it. On any energy face, use its Energize effect. (The die does not return to the Reserve Pool, regardless of the result.)
dmrulesteam

Return to Dice Masters Rules Questions