Kitty Pryde forced attack combo

Ask your rules questions here!

Moderator: Dice Masters Mod

Kitty Pryde forced attack combo

Postby jwalk40 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:06 pm

On my opponents turn I pay 1 mask to activate the global on Kitty Pryde- Shadowcat. "Target character cannot attack this turn unless its owner pays 1 life." Next I pay 1 mask to activate the global on Mr. Fantastic- Brilliant Scientist on the same target character. "Target character must attack this turn." Is my opponent forced to pay 1 life and attack? I know that cannot should trump can, but the card reads must. Can my opponent be forced to pay a cost?

If not, if I were to use a global to force an opposing target character to attack, could my opponent then choose to use the Kitty Pride global to avoid attacking since they cannot be "forced" to pay that cost?

Thanks!
jwalk40

Re: Kitty Pryde forced attack combo

Postby dmrulesteam » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:16 pm

You can't force a player to pay a cost to be able to accomplish an action. If the player doesn't want to pay the life to attack with the character, they do not have to and the character then is unable to attack so ignores the forced attack ability.

When a card makes a character/die/player do something, if that character/die/player cannot do that thing, the can't overrides the can. Cable can't force the X-23 that can't block to be able to block for example. Mr. Fantastic or Phoenix couldn't force a character with the text, "This character can't attack," to attack.

-The Dice Masters Rules Team
dmrulesteam

Postby cturner2424 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:01 am

How would this work with supergirl last daughter of krypton which has a character ability that says all opposing characters must block, while I have super rare lanter battery which makes opponents to pay 1 life for each blocking character. I'm not forcing anything just using basic character abilities
cturner2424

Postby dmrulesteam » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:40 pm

cturner2424 wrote:How would this work with supergirl last daughter of krypton which has a character ability that says all opposing characters must block, while I have super rare lanter battery which makes opponents to pay 1 life for each blocking character. I'm not forcing anything just using basic character abilities

This case is the same. You're trying to use 2 different abilities - one which prevents an opponent from doing something without paying a cost, and another which forces them to do that thing (thereby paying the cost).

You cannot force an opponent to pay a cost by the interaction of 2 card abilities.

-The Dice Masters Rules Team
dmrulesteam

Return to Dice Masters Rules Questions