Epic Basic Actions (Marvel Secret Wars)

Ask your rules questions here!

Moderator: Dice Masters Mod

Epic Basic Actions (Marvel Secret Wars)

Postby ccm00007 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:30 pm

Hello,

I wish to ask about the Epic Basic Actions that are featured in the upcoming Marvel Dice Masters: Secret Wars set.

According to the rules insert included with Secret Wars draft packs:

You can't purchase an Epic Basic Action unless you have an active character with purchase cost 4 or greater.

I have two questions:

First, how does this rule relate to effects allowing you to put unpurchased dice in your Used Pile? For example, Bizarro: Kryptonite Enhanced Intelligence's ability text reads as follows:

Once per turn, you may add a Bizarro die from this card to your bag. If you do, your opponent takes one of their unpurchased dice and adds it to their Used Pile.

Scenario: I have Cosmic Cube: Epic Basic Action on my team. My opponent uses Bizarro's ability to add him to their bag. Can I add a Cosmic Cube to my Used Pile?

Second, how do the Epic Basic Action rules interact with effects that allow you to swap dice?

The Kevin Owens Show: Basic Action Card's text reads as follows:

Swap a die in your Used Pile for one of your unpurchased dice that costs up to 2 more.
*/** Draw and Prep a die from your bag.

Scenario: I have a 4-cost die in my Used Pile and I have Cosmic Cube: Epic Basic Action on my team. Can I use The Kevin Owens Show to swap the 4-cost die in my Used Pile for Cosmic Cube?

If the answer to either or both of the above is "No", would the answer be different if I had a character active with a purchase cost of 4? (e.g. Typhoid Mary: Red Rubber Boots)

Thank you for your time.
ccm00007

Re: Epic Basic Actions (Marvel Secret Wars)

Postby dmrulesteam » Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:58 am

All of your questions center around the conditions for purchasing an Epic Basic Action die, and specifically the second condition stated below. To reiterate what is stated on the Secret Wars rules insert, these two conditions are:

(1) You can only use or purchase 1 Epic Basic Action per turn.
(2) You must have an active character with purchase cost 4 or greater.

For clarification, an “active character” means the applicable character die is located in the Field Zone. A character die that is in any other play area (e.g. Used Pile or in the bag) is not ‘active’.

Only if both of these conditions are met, can you then purchase an Epic Basic Action die.

With regards to the swapping question, if the conditions for purchasing an Epic Basic Action die and The Kevin Owens Show ability are met, then you could obtain one through this swapping ability. Also, the obtaining of an Epic Basic Action die in this manner would be considered ‘purchasing’ that die for the purpose of applying condition (1) above.

On the Bizarro question, the correct ability is:
your opponent takes one of their unpurchased character dice and adds it to their Used Pile.

Hence, you cannot obtain an Epic Basic Action die through this ability.
dmrulesteam

Return to Dice Masters Rules Questions