Abilities that Trigger from Playing Actions

Ask your rules questions here!

Moderator: Dice Masters Mod

Abilities that Trigger from Playing Actions

Postby jackalopespam » Tue May 09, 2023 11:54 am

For characters such as Sheriff Strange, a question has come up as to the timing of when he needs to be active for his ability to trigger.

Sheriff Strange: Isle of Agamotto
While Sheriff Strange is active, when you use an action die, reroll target character die.

In particular, what happens if the action being played changes whether or not Sheriff Strange is active. Something like Mutation for instance.

Mutation: Basic Action Card
Swap target character die in the Field Zone with target non-sidekick character dice in that player's Used Pile. Spin that character die to level 1. (This does not trigger "when fielded" effects.)

Which of the following scenarios would allow for Sheriff Strange's ability to activate?

A) I only have a Sidekick active and then I play Mutation to swap Sheriff Strange from my Used Pile for the Sidekick in the Field Zone. Sheriff Strange was not active before playing Mutation, but is active after the resolution of Mutation.

B) I have Sheriff Strange active and I play Mutation to swap him for a different character die in my used pile. Sheriff Strange is active before playing Mutation, but is no longer active after the resolution of Mutation.

C) Sheriff Strange needs to be active both before playing Mutation and after it resolves in order for the ability to activate.
jackalopespam

Re: Abilities that Trigger from Playing Actions

Postby dmrulesteam » Wed May 10, 2023 1:44 pm

The ability from an Action die will enter the queue. This will initiate Sheriff Strange’s ability, which will now enter the queue, after the Action die ability. The Action die ability must now be fully resolved, then Sheriff Strange’s ability.

If the Action die ability removes Sheriff Strange from the Field Zone, his ability will still initiate because it was in the queue, per the following rule:

Rule 3.2.5 Abilities are initiated or triggered based on the game state when that ability entered the queue. If the resolution of an ability changes the game state, this new game state will not affect the resolution of a previous ability or subsequent abilities already in the queue. Likewise, an ability in the queue cannot go back to a previous game state to undo abilities that have already been resolved.

Therefore, scenario B is correct, with the following addition: you can resolve Sheriff Strange’s ability after he is swapped from the Field Zone.
Last edited by dmrulesteam on Wed May 10, 2023 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected previous answer.
dmrulesteam

Return to Dice Masters Rules Questions