Professor X: Recruiting Young Mutants

Ask your rules questions here!

Moderator: Dice Masters Mod

Professor X: Recruiting Young Mutants

Postby tomthecpa » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:51 am

Professor X has the following global:

Pay <Mask>. Move up to 2 Sidekick dice from your used pile to your prep area.

How many times may I do this on my turn and/or on my opponent's turn?
tomthecpa

Re: Professor X: Recruiting Young Mutants

Postby dmrulesteam » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:49 pm

Like all Globals Abilities, you may pay use it as many times as you like as long as you have the ability to pay for it and there are legal targets.

So if you had 8 Sidekick Dice in your Used Pile, you could pay 4 Masks and move all of them to your Prep Area.

Reminder that if you're using a Mask face on a Sidekick Die to pay for this ability, you may not select that Sidekick Die to move to your Prep Area with Professor X's Global Ability.

-The Dice Masters Rules Team
dmrulesteam

Postby archivist » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:00 pm

"Reminder that if you're using a Mask face on a Sidekick Die to pay for this ability, you may not select that Sidekick Die to move to your Prep Area with Professor X's Global Ability."

For clarification: The statement above is applicable if it is your turn; if it is your opponent's turn, you can select those Sidekicks. Correct?
archivist

Postby waterninja » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:24 pm

Could you use this on your opponents turn to move up to 2 sidekicks that you spent in your last turn as energy, if you have a mask to spend?

I have seen where someone would use the sidekick energy to purchase a character or whatever, then spend a mask and get 2 sidekicks from their used pile they had already there and then wait until your turn was over or during the turn and would spend a mask to take two of the sidekicks they just used. Is that legal?
waterninja

Postby dmrulesteam » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:11 pm

archivist wrote:"Reminder that if you're using a Mask face on a Sidekick Die to pay for this ability, you may not select that Sidekick Die to move to your Prep Area with Professor X's Global Ability."

For clarification: The statement above is applicable if it is your turn; if it is your opponent's turn, you can select those Sidekicks. Correct?

Incorrect. If a Sidekick die is in my Reserve Pool, and I decide to use it to pay for Professor X's Global, it isn't a die in my Used Pile that I could select when I use the ability, even if it is my opponent's turn. If there were 0 Sidekicks in my Used Pile, and I had exactly 1 in my Reserve Pool on a Mask face, I couldn't use Professor X's ability - there would be no viable selections for the ability.

waterninja wrote:Could you use this on your opponents turn to move up to 2 sidekicks that you spent in your last turn as energy, if you have a mask to spend?

I have seen where someone would use the sidekick energy to purchase a character or whatever, then spend a mask and get 2 sidekicks from their used pile they had already there and then wait until your turn was over or during the turn and would spend a mask to take two of the sidekicks they just used. Is that legal?

To clarify: during my turn I could spend 2 energy to purchase a die (Storm, Weather Witch for example). Field a Sidekick, and leave a Mask face of a Sidekick die in my Reserve Pool. During my opponent's turn, during their Main Step, I'll have an opportunity to use Global Abilities. Assuming no other game effects have moved them, I could then use Professor X's Global Ability to move the 2 Sidekick dice I spent on Storm to my Prep Area.

dmrulesteam

Postby centhion » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:53 am

Just for clarification-

If I had 2 sidekick die in my used pile and I had 3 in my reserve. Could I use the first sidekick to purchase 2 in the used pile then the second sidekick in reserve to buy the sidekick just used for PXG, and then use the third sidekick die to purchase back the second one used on PXG. Leaving just one sidekick die in the used pile and ending up with 4 in the prep area.

I am just confused if a player is allowed to subsequently purchase the die or dice just used on the ability back to back.
centhion

Postby dmrulesteam » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:10 pm

centhion wrote:Just for clarification-

If I had 2 sidekick die in my used pile and I had 3 in my reserve. Could I use the first sidekick to purchase 2 in the used pile then the second sidekick in reserve to buy the sidekick just used for PXG, and then use the third sidekick die to purchase back the second one used on PXG. Leaving just one sidekick die in the used pile and ending up with 4 in the prep area.

I am just confused if a player is allowed to subsequently purchase the die or dice just used on the ability back to back.

The first Sidekick could move 2 dice with Professor X's ability. If it is your opponent's turn, that Sidekick would now end up in the Used Pile (2 in Used, 2 in Reserve, 2 in Prep).
Next, the 2nd Sidekick getting paid from the Reserve Pool could be used for Professor X's Global. Now you'll have 1 in Used, 1 in Reserve, 4 in Prep.
The 3rd Sidekick could get used for Professor X's Global and you'd have 1 in Used, 0 in Reserve, 5 in Prep.

dmrulesteam

Postby centhion » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:16 pm

Thank you,

I should clarify, is that all possible while it is the opponents turn? The people I have been playing with do all of the actions while it is the opponents turn. I am under the assumption that the ones used go into a transition zone not directly to the used zone, leaving them un-purchasable.
centhion

Postby dmrulesteam » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:29 pm

dmrulesteam wrote:If there were 0 Sidekicks in my Used Pile, and I had exactly 1 in my Reserve Pool on a Mask face, I couldn't use Professor X's ability - there would be no viable selections for the ability.

We received many pages of comments about this line of text. Abilities can't be used for no effect. This has come up on other cards. Professor X having "up to" wording doesn't mean that meta-rule no longer applies.

Please keep in mind that a surge of posts (sometimes in triplicate from individual users) slows down our ability to answer questions.

Please also keep in mind these rules, found here: http://wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/viewto ... f=9&t=1605:

4. Please Be Polite—Posts with Name Calling, Insults, Profanity, Racial Slurs, Trolling, Flaming, Attacking, or Harassing will not be approved and will result in a warning or banning.

5. If you disagree with a ruling, please respond in a polite manner. We are not attempting to offend you with rulings, but instead help bring a better understanding of the rules of the game. If we feel there is no error in the ruling, your post will not be approved.

We would prefer to not have to ban users since most users, in most posts, are asking great questions that help everyone enjoy Dice Masters.

dmrulesteam

Postby dmrulesteam » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:36 pm

centhion wrote:Thank you,

I should clarify, is that all possible while it is the opponents turn? The people I have been playing with do all of the actions while it is the opponents turn. I am under the assumption that the ones used go into a transition zone not directly to the used zone, leaving them un-purchasable.

Yes, it is all possible during the opponent's turn. Check out Page 9 of the DC Comics Dice Masters: Justice League Rulebook for some guidance: http://www.wizkids.com/wp-content/uploa ... ok_web.pdf

dmrulesteam

Return to Dice Masters Rules Questions