Application of Damage, Bonuses

Ask your rules questions here!

Moderator: Dice Masters Mod

Application of Damage, Bonuses

Postby matthewmac » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:44 pm

How exactly is damage applied to a character, and is it different from bonuses and static effects?

For example, assume I a have a lvl 2 Vision in play (2A/6D) that my opponent has a used a Power Bolt on (dealing 2 damage) and I also have an Ant-Man: Pym Particles and Captain America: Sentinel of Liberty in play. If I used Ant-Man's global ability on Vision, are his stats now considered to be 4A/2D, or does he become KO'd at 6A/0D? In other words, would damage be considered a static (negative) bonus on a character when applied or does it alter the D stat itself?

Additionally, do triggered effects, such as Ant-Man's, only continue to affect the specified stat? So if I attacked with Ant-Man at lvl 1 (2A/1D) and he receives his +2D bonus (2A/3D), would using his global on himself make his stats 1A/4D, or does the bonus simply alter the stat when triggered so that he would become 3A/2D? Would this be different from someone playing a die that gives a one-time bonus, such as Ambush or Teamwork?

Lastly, I assume cards with static effects such as Captain America's continue to only affect the specified stat, correct? If I used Ant-Man's global ability on my Sidekick while Cpt. America was active, he would continue to be 3A/1D, not 1A/3D?

Ant-Man: Pym
PaticlesAnt-Man gets +2D while attacking.
Global: Pay [1 Fist]. Switch the A and D values of one of your characters.

Captain America: Sentinel of Liberty
While Captain America is active, your Sidekick characters get +2A, and your opponent's Sidekick characters cost 1 extra energy to field.

Ambush
One of your characters gets +1A for each character your opponent has in the field.
matthewmac

Re: Application of Damage, Bonuses

Postby dmrulesteam » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:37 pm

In your first example, with the Vision, the swapping of his A and D would KO him. Damage is not a stat modifier.

Static effects (while ___ is active, while ___ is attacking) continue to apply to the stat they reference.
Applied effects (one time boosts from Global Abilities etc) are applied, then can be swapped onto the new stat.

Yes on Captain America continuing to apply to the same stat.

-The Dice Masters Rules Team
dmrulesteam

Postby whupp » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:04 pm

dmrulesteam wrote:Static effects (while ___ is active, while ___ is attacking) continue to apply to the stat they reference.
Applied effects (one time boosts from Global Abilities etc) are applied, then can be swapped onto the new stat.

Would Basic Action cards like Take Cover and Ambush be considered a static effect or an applied effect?
whupp

Postby dmrulesteam » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:19 pm

whupp wrote:
dmrulesteam wrote:Static effects (while ___ is active, while ___ is attacking) continue to apply to the stat they reference.

Would Basic Action cards like Take Cover and Ambush be considered a static effect or an applied effect?

Take Cover and Ambush are applied effects.

Ambush takes a snapshot - it counts your opponent's fielded characters, and gives your character +1A for each when it is used. If your opponent gets an additional character, or has some KO'd, it doesn't change the bonus it is giving.

We've also gotten some questions about how swapping works with Captain America and Sidekicks.
His bonus continues to apply to only the attack value. Swapping a Sidekick's A and D with Captain America active (and no other effects on them) would yield no meaningful result (though it would still be a legal play). They would remain 3A and 1D.

-The Dice Masters Rules Team
dmrulesteam

Return to Dice Masters Rules Questions