Doctor Strange - Mystic Arts and triggering his ability

Ask your rules questions here!

Moderator: Dice Masters Mod

Doctor Strange - Mystic Arts and triggering his ability

Postby archivist » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:42 am

Doctor Strange – Master of the Mystic Arts:
While Doctor Strange is active, each time you use an action he deals 2 damage to a character or opponent (no matter how many dice are fielded).

Invulnerability (ability only):
Your attacking characters that are knocked out (this turn) return to the field.

SITUATIONS:
(1) My opponent has fielded Doctor Strange. On a subsequent turn, a Basic Action Die for Invulnerability is rolled. My opponent chooses not to attack with any characters. Can he apply Dr Strange’s ability and deal 2 damage, even though the Basic Action was not triggered (i.e. used)?
(2) Same set-up as (1), but my opponent attacks and either I have no character’s to block or I chose not to block. Can he apply Dr. Strange’s ability, since an attempt was made that could trigger the effect, but due to circumstances, did not occur?

Bottom line – Is the result of rolling an action die face enough to trigger Dr. Strange’s effect, even if the action effect was not used – by either the choice of the player (situation 1) or due to the state of the game area or choices my opponent makes that precludes the triggering of the action effect (situation 2)?

Appreciate your response.
archivist

Re: Doctor Strange - Mystic Arts and triggering his ability

Postby dmrulesteam » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:50 am

Let me try to give an overview of how this works even though I don't address your question directly (there is a flawed assumption layered in regarding what "used" means).

Doctor Strange looks at when you use the die for an effect (not an energy). If Invulnerability was played/used during the Main Step, and that is when Dr. Strange would deal the 2 damage.

When Invulnerability is used, it isn't clear the die will have no effect, so it can be played. If an action die said, "KO a Sidekick." and there were no Sidekicks to KO, you couldn't use that die to get Dr. Strange's bonus since it is guaranteed to do nothing.

-The Dice Masters Rules Team
dmrulesteam

Postby jhoratio » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:08 am

How would Dr. Strange's ability interact with Cerebro: Cybernetic Intelligence - Place Cerebro on an X-Men die's card. It remains there until you or a card effect removes it (it is still in the field). When you field a die from that card, knock out one opposing die. When is Cerebro "used" for the purposes of Dr. Strange direct damage. Is it when placed on the card? Or KOing the opposing die? Or both?
jhoratio

Postby dmrulesteam » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:11 am

jhoratio wrote:How would Dr. Strange's ability interact with Cerebro: Cybernetic Intelligence - Place Cerebro on an X-Men die's card. It remains there until you or a card effect removes it (it is still in the field). When you field a die from that card, knock out one opposing die. When is Cerebro "used" for the purposes of Dr. Strange direct damage. Is it when placed on the card? Or KOing the opposing die? Or both?

Dr. Strange's ability happens when the die is removed from the Reserve Pool for its effect (whether that moves it to the Field Zone or the Used Pile or Out of Play). When action dice use effects from the Field Zone, Dr. Strange doesn't trigger.

-The Dice Masters Rules Team
dmrulesteam

Return to Dice Masters Rules Questions