WHEN do I play the Riker Maneuver (2017 Starter)?

Ask your rules questions here!

Moderator: Star Trek Mods

WHEN do I play the Riker Maneuver (2017 Starter)?

Postby romulanvampire » Mon May 06, 2019 6:58 am

Hello I've got a question concerning the Riker Maneuver talent (2017 Starter):

The text states: "WHEN DEFENDING: If the attacking ship is not in this ship's Primary Firing Arc, discard this card. Remove all Target Lock and Battle Station Tokens beside the attacking ship. Place an Auxiliary Power Token beside this ship and the attacking ship."

Can I play this card after (for example) someone selects my ship as a target and deactivates his torpedoes, but BEFORE he spends his target lock and battle stations? If I'm considered defending AFTER all red dice are tossed and modified it would be pretty senseless because usually target lock and battle station tokens are used.

When am I considered "defending"?
romulanvampire

Re: WHEN do I play the Riker Maneuver (2017 Starter)?

Postby stawrulesteam » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:46 am

You are considered defending at the end of the Declare Target Step.

Example:

1. Opposing Ship A w/ Photon Torpedoes equipped targets Friendly Ship A w/ Riker Maneuver. At the end of the Declare Target Step, Friendly Ship A w/ Riker Maneuver is now the defending ship.
2. At the start of the Roll Attack Dice Step, before Opposing Ship A w/ Photon Torpedoes chooses which weapon to attack with, Friendly Ship A w/ Riker Maneuver activates the Riker Maneuver to remove all Target Lock and Battle Stations Tokens beside Opposing Ship A w/ Photon Torpedoes.
3. Opposing Ship A w/ Photon Torpedoes can no longer use the Photon Torpedoes because they have no Target Lock Token to spend.
stawrulesteam

Return to Star Trek: Attack Wing Rules Questions