Wave 1 - Praetus - Cloaked Mines

Ask your rules questions here!

Moderator: Star Trek Mods

Wave 1 - Praetus - Cloaked Mines

Postby mhansen » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:06 pm

FAQ Weapons Section #s 11&12

11. If the trigger areas for two Cloaked Mines overlap, does an enemy ship passing through the overlapping trigger area sustain damage from both Cloaked Mines?
No. In this case the ship would only be damaged by one of the Cloaked Mines.
However, if a ship passes through (and completely out of) the trigger area of one Cloaked Mine and into the trigger
area of another Cloaked Mine, then the ship sustains damage from both Cloaked Mines.

12. If a ship starts its move within Range 1 of an enemy's Cloaked Mine, does it take damage when it moves this turn?
This works the same as the normal rules for a Minefield Token (see p. 23), just with a wider range.
If the ship moves beyond the Cloaked Mine's Range, then it does not receive damage again this turn.
But if it stays within the Cloaked Mine's Range, then it is does receive damage again this turn.

A: In the regards to number 11, bold section, I take this as your ship is starting completely out of the CM's trigger area. You then perform a maneuver that carries your ship into, through, and completely out of a first CM and your ship ends in another CM's trigger area that is not an overlapping area of two CMs. In this case you take damage from both.

B: But, if your ship starts within one CM's trigger area and you perform a maneuver that carries your ship out of the CM's trigger area and then into another non overlapping CM's trigger area, you only take damage from the second CM and not the first since, according to rule 12 and pg 23 of rulebook, there is no penalty when separating from a CM/mine.

There has been some debate that in instance B that your ship still receives damage from both CMs.
mhansen

Re: Cloaked Mines Praetus Wave 1

Postby stawrulesteam » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:32 pm

mhansen wrote:FAQ Weapons Section #s 11&12

11. If the trigger areas for two Cloaked Mines overlap, does an enemy ship passing through the overlapping trigger area sustain damage from both Cloaked Mines?
No. In this case the ship would only be damaged by one of the Cloaked Mines.
However, if a ship passes through (and completely out of) the trigger area of one Cloaked Mine and into the trigger
area of another Cloaked Mine, then the ship sustains damage from both Cloaked Mines.

12. If a ship starts its move within Range 1 of an enemy's Cloaked Mine, does it take damage when it moves this turn?
This works the same as the normal rules for a Minefield Token (see p. 23), just with a wider range.
If the ship moves beyond the Cloaked Mine's Range, then it does not receive damage again this turn.
But if it stays within the Cloaked Mine's Range, then it is does receive damage again this turn.

A: In the regards to number 11, bold section, I take this as your ship is starting completely out of the CM's trigger area. You then perform a maneuver that carries your ship into, through, and completely out of a first CM and your ship ends in another CM's trigger area that is not an overlapping area of two CMs. In this case you take damage from both.

B: But, if your ship starts within one CM's trigger area and you perform a maneuver that carries your ship out of the CM's trigger area and then into another non overlapping CM's trigger area, you only take damage from the second CM and not the first since, according to rule 12 and pg 23 of rulebook, there is no penalty when separating from a CM/mine.

There has been some debate that in instance B that your ship still receives damage from both CMs.

Scenario A and B are correct.
stawrulesteam

Postby vtmobius » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:08 pm

What happens if a ship uses the sensor echo action to enter into the cloaked mine area? Also what happens if the ship executes a maneuver enters a cloaked mine rolls damage and then sensor echos into the same cloaked mine or a different cloaked mine does it still take damage?
vtmobius

Postby philosopheroffire » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:05 am

If a ship begins its movement within the area of a cloaked minefield and that same movement ends within the same minefield, will the cloaked mines trigger for that ship.

Scenario is my ship on the previous turn moved inside the cloaked minefield. If my ship fails to clear that field on the subsequent turn does the ship experience the minefield damage again at the end of the movement?

I understand that a ship that fails to move completely off of Antimatter mines token, through a bump, or limited movement effect does experience damage again.
philosopheroffire

Postby stawrulesteam » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:41 pm

vtmobius wrote:What happens if a ship uses the sensor echo action to enter into the cloaked mine area? Also what happens if the ship executes a maneuver enters a cloaked mine rolls damage and then sensor echos into the same cloaked mine or a different cloaked mine does it still take damage?

If a ship's base is inside the cloaked mine trigger area before or after a sensor echo action it will take damage from the mines.

If a ship stays within the range of one cloaked mine it will only receive damage once. But, if it enters the range of another cloaked mine through a sensor echo it will take damage a second time unless the range of the two cloaked mines overlaps.
stawrulesteam

Postby stawrulesteam » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:44 pm

philosopheroffire wrote:If a ship begins its movement within the area of a cloaked minefield and that same movement ends within the same minefield, will the cloaked mines trigger for that ship.

Scenario is my ship on the previous turn moved inside the cloaked minefield. If my ship fails to clear that field on the subsequent turn does the ship experience the minefield damage again at the end of the movement?

I understand that a ship that fails to move completely off of Antimatter mines token, through a bump, or limited movement effect does experience damage again.

If a ship stays within range of a minefield it will take damage from the mines each round it stays within range of the mines.

Yes, in your example your ship would take damage if it could not get out of range of the mines.
stawrulesteam

Postby benhosp » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:20 pm

Does the ruling about 2 overlapping Cloaked Mines zones apply at all to the interaction between Cloaked Mines and other minefields? In other words, suppose a Nuclear Warhead minefield token is placed entirely within range 1 of a Cloaked Mines minefield token. Would a ship moving from completely outside both minefields through both the Nuclear Warhead token and the Cloaked Mines zone be subject to the effects of both upgrades?
benhosp

Postby stawrulesteam » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:00 pm

benhosp wrote:Does the ruling about 2 overlapping Cloaked Mines zones apply at all to the interaction between Cloaked Mines and other minefields? In other words, suppose a Nuclear Warhead minefield token is placed entirely within range 1 of a Cloaked Mines minefield token. Would a ship moving from completely outside both minefields through both the Nuclear Warhead token and the Cloaked Mines zone be subject to the effects of both upgrades?

No, this ruling would only apply to minefields of similar types.
stawrulesteam

Rules Clarification - Cloaked Mines

Postby gingerfriction » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:43 pm

Cloaked Mines -
During the Planning Phase, you may discard this card to place a Minefield Token within Range 2 of your Ship (in any direction) but not within Range 2 of an enemy ship. If an enemy ship passes within Range 1 of the token, roll 3 attack dice (-1 if the target ship immediately performs a [Sensor] Action). Any [Hit] or [Critical] damages the target ship as normal. The affected ship does not roll any defense dice.

If I have multiple copies of Cloaked Mines on one ship (e.g. 3 copies per ship), can I deploy all three in the same round during the planning phase?
gingerfriction

Re: Rules Clarification - Cloaked Mines

Postby stawrulesteam » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:34 pm

gingerfriction wrote:Cloaked Mines -
During the Planning Phase, you may discard this card to place a Minefield Token within Range 2 of your Ship (in any direction) but not within Range 2 of an enemy ship. If an enemy ship passes within Range 1 of the token, roll 3 attack dice (-1 if the target ship immediately performs a [Sensor] Action). Any [Hit] or [Critical] damages the target ship as normal. The affected ship does not roll any defense dice.

If I have multiple copies of Cloaked Mines on one ship (e.g. 3 copies per ship), can I deploy all three in the same round during the planning phase?

Yes, there is no restriction on the number of Cloaked mines you may deploy in one turn.
stawrulesteam

Next

Return to Star Trek: Attack Wing Rules Questions