Pulse Wave

Moderator: HeroClix Mods

Pulse Wave

Postby bloodsword » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:46 am

"PULSE WAVE RANGE: Halve range, ;Improved-T;, ;Character; , ;A-Infinity; . Other characters within range can’t use powers or abilities (for this action). Make a range attack targeting all characters, at least one of which must be opposing, within range and line of fire using their printed defense values. If more than one character is targeted, each hit character is dealt 1 damage instead of normal damage"

"WEATHER MANIPULATION: Probability Control. Opposing characters can't target Beta Ray Bill or friendly characters adjacent to him unless they began their turn within 4 squares of their target or are making a close attack."

Does Pulse Wave get past characters that have effects that prevent them from being targeted, like Beta Ray Bill's special power?
bloodsword

Re: Pulse Wave

Postby hcrulesteam » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:41 am

bloodsword wrote:Does Pulse Wave get past characters that have effects that prevent them from being targeted, like Beta Ray Bill's special power?

When using Pulse Wave, the first effect that occurs is that all characters within the attacker's (finalized) range value can't use their powers or abilities. No line of fire is required for this effect, only that the character's need to be within range. Since no line of fire is needed, the effect is not targeting. Character's that can't be targeted will still be affected and will not be able to use their powers or abilities.
hcrulesteam

Postby dualwraith » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:32 pm

PULSE WAVE RANGE: Halve range, ;Improved-T;, ;Character; , ;A-Infinity; . Other characters within range can’t use powers or abilities (for this action). Make a range attack targeting all characters, at least one of which must be opposing, within range and line of fire using their printed defense values. If more than one character is targeted, each hit character is dealt 1 damage instead of normal damage.

Stealth: When it’s not your turn, hindered lines of fire drawn to this character are blocked.

Protected: Pulse Wave: This power or ability can be used during the resolution of Pulse Wave. Pulse Wave’s “can’t be used” doesn’t apply to this keyphrase.

If an opposing character in range had a special power or trait that granted or allowed him to pick Stealth, and that special power or trait had Protected: Pulse Wave, would they be able to be attacked by Pulse Wave attack if they would have a hindered line of fire drawn to them?

thank you!
dualwraith

Postby hcrulesteam » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:51 pm

dualwraith wrote:If an opposing character in range had a special power or trait that granted or allowed him to pick Stealth, and that special power or trait had Protected: Pulse Wave, would they be able to be attacked by Pulse Wave attack if they would have a hindered line of fire drawn to them?

In the provided example, the line of fire would be blocked, so the character would not be able to be targeted by the attack portion of Pulse Wave.
hcrulesteam

Postby disasstah » Mon May 21, 2018 5:58 pm

PERPLEX FREE: Minimum range value 6. Choose a target character within range and line of fi re. Modify one of that character’s combat values +1 or -1 until your next turn.

If I were to have my range value modified -1 with Perplex by an opposing character and then use Pulse Wave with that opposing character in the radius, would I lose that modifier and then recalculate my range value when making the range attack?
disasstah

Postby hcrulesteam » Wed May 23, 2018 2:33 pm

disasstah wrote:If I were to have my range value modified -1 with Perplex by an opposing character and then use Pulse Wave with that opposing character in the radius, would I lose that modifier and then recalculate my range value when making the range attack?

No. Once the range value is calculated at the start of the action, that same value is used for both determining what characters will be affected by the "can't use" effect and the range value of the attack, regardless of effects no longer being used that may affect the attackers range value.
hcrulesteam

Postby clownprince » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:44 pm

"PULSE WAVE RANGE: Halve range, ;Improved-T;, ;Character; , ;A-Infinity; . Other characters within range can’t use powers or abilities (for this action). Make a range attack targeting all characters, at least one of which must be opposing, within range and line of fire using their printed defense values. If more than one character is targeted, each hit character is dealt 1 damage instead of normal damage"

ATTACKING AND MULTI-BASE CHARACTERS
When a multi-base character targets, or otherwise draws a line of fire to multiple targets, each target may have a line of fire drawn from a different square of that multi-base character.

If I activate Pulse Wave with a multi-base character, can I pick and choose which squares to draw line of fire from?
clownprince

Postby hcrulesteam » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:20 am

clownprince wrote:If I activate Pulse Wave with a multi-base character, can I pick and choose which squares to draw line of fire from?

No. Pulse Wave requires you to target all possible characters within range and line of fire. This means you must count range and draw lines of fire from all squares of a multi-base character in order to target the maximum number of characters.
hcrulesteam

Return to Heroclix Past Rules Archive