Die Replacement Effects

Moderator: HeroClix Mods

Die Replacement Effects

Postby clownprince » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:27 pm

From page 14 of the Core Rulebook:
After making the attack roll, but before calculating the attack total, players may use effects that allow the attack roll to be rerolled. Once all rerolls have been made, apply any other effects that change the attack roll or attack total. The attack roll and attack total are then finalized.

Just to confirm. If I have an effect that allows me to replace a die in the attack roll, I can only use it after all effects that allow rerolls (such as Probability Control) correct?

Also from page 14 of the Core Rulebook:
If both players have effects that can force a reroll (or otherwise similarly change the roll of a die), the active player gets the first chance to reroll, followed by the opponent. If either players rerolls, this process is repeated until both players decline to do so. The roll is then finalized.

If me and my opponent both have a way to replace a die in an attack roll and I am active player can I make my opponent use his effect first?
clownprince

Re: Die Replacement Effects

Postby hcrulesteam » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:29 pm

clownprince wrote:Just to confirm. If I have an effect that allows me to replace a die in the attack roll, I can only use it after all effects that allow rerolls (such as Probability Control) correct?

Correct. Effects that would replace a die in the attack roll occur after any rerolls are used. Once a die is replaced it can no longer be rerolled unless an effect specifically states otherwise.

If me and my opponent both have a way to replace a die in an attack roll and I am active player can I make my opponent use his effect first?

No. Per the quoted passage, effects that would replace a die in a roll are treated the same way as rerolls. The active player would need to choose whether or not to use their effect first, followed by the opponent. If the active player chooses not to and the opponent then chooses not to, then both players have declined to do so and the roll is finalized.

Note that these rules are specific to rerolls and die replacement/altering effects and don't follow the normal rules for triggered effects and the active player.
hcrulesteam

Return to Heroclix Past Rules Archive