Overcrush clarification needed please.

Ask your rules questions here!

Moderator: Dice Masters Mod

Overcrush clarification needed please.

Postby crambaza » Fri May 08, 2015 2:33 am

I have some questions about the Overcrush ability.

The DC rule book states:
Overcrush: When attacking, if this character knocks out all of its blockers, it deals any leftover damage to your opponent.

While the basic action card "Anger Issues" states:
Target character gets +3A and Overcrush this turn (damage dealt in excess of blockers' health is dealt to opponent).

So, I have some questions about how it works.

Question 1: I leave 1 blocker alone.
I have an 8 Attack power character with Overcrush attacking. He is blocked by 2 characters, each with 1 Defense. I assign 8 damage to one of them, and 0 damage to the other. Will I deal 6 damage to my opponent because I dealt 8 damage and the blockers had 2 total defense, or will I deal 0 damage to my opponent because I didn't KO the second blocker?

Question 2: Overcrush vs Regeneration.
I have an 8 Attack power character with Overcrush attacking. He is blocked by 2 characters, each with 1 Defense, and each has regeneration. I assign 4 damage to each blocker, KO'ing each of them. One of the characters regenerates, and is still in the field. Will I still deal 6 damage to my opponent, because I dealt more damage than their Defense, or will I deal 0 damage, because one of the blockers is still alive?

Question 3: Overcrush vs already damaged blockers.
I have an 8 Attack power character with Overcrush attacking. He is blocked by 1 character with 4 Defense. Earlier in the turn the blocking character took 2 damage from another ability, so he has 4 Defense with 2 damage. Will my Overcrush deal 6 damage to my opponent, because I only need 2 to KO the blocker, or will I deal 4 damage to my opponent because my Attack was only 4 over the blockers defense?

Thank you for your time.
crambaza

Re: Overcrush clarification needed please.

Postby dmrulesteam » Mon May 11, 2015 10:52 am

I have some questions about the Overcrush ability.
The DC rule book states:
Overcrush: When attacking, if this character knocks out all of its blockers, it deals any leftover damage to your opponent.

While the basic action card “Anger Issues” states:
Target character gets +3A and Overcrush this turn (damage dealt in excess of blockers’ health is dealt to opponent).

So, I have some questions about how it works.

As a preliminary matter, the fact that the language in the parentheses on the Anger Issues – Basic Action Card is not identical to the language in the rulebook does not mean that the Overcrush ability granted by Anger Issues is any different than the ability as defined by the rulebook. Language in parentheses on cards are there as a reminder regarding issues implied by the rules, and do not substantively impact play.

Question 1: I leave 1 blocker alone.
I have an 8 Attack power character with Overcrush attacking. He is blocked by 2 characters, each with 1 Defense. I assign 8 damage to one of them, and 0 damage to the other. Will I deal 6 damage to my opponent because I dealt 8 damage and the blockers had 2 total defense, or will I deal 0 damage to my opponent because I didn’t KO the second blocker?

You will deal zero damage to your opponent because you did not knock out the second blocker. The rulebook conditions the damage to your opponent upon “if this character knocks out all of its blockers.”

Question 2: Overcrush vs Regeneration.
I have an 8 Attack power character with Overcrush attacking. He is blocked by 2 characters, each with 1 Defense, and each has regeneration. I assign 4 damage to each blocker, KO’ing each of them. One of the characters regenerates, and is still in the field. Will I still deal 6 damage to my opponent, because I dealt more damage than their Defense, or will I deal 0 damage, because one of the blockers is still alive?

You would deal six damage to your opponent. After a character die regenerates, it is removed from the attack zone—i.e., it is no longer blocking. The conditions for overcrush damage applying will thus have been met.

The relevant text from the rulebook is as follows:

Dungeons & Dragons Dice Masters: Battle for Faerûn Rulebook Page 18:
Regenerate: If this character is knocked out, roll it. If you roll a character face, return it to the field (but not the attack zone). Otherwise, move the die to your prep area.

Question 3: Overcrush vs already damaged blockers.
I have an 8 Attack power character with Overcrush attacking. He is blocked by 1 character with 4 Defense. Earlier in the turn the blocking character took 2 damage from another ability, so he has 4 Defense with 2 damage. Will my Overcrush deal 6 damage to my opponent, because I only need 2 to KO the blocker, or will I deal 4 damage to my opponent because my Attack was only 4 over the blockers defense?

Your opponent would take 6 damage due to Overcrush. Overcrush only applies damage to blockers up until the point at which the damage is sufficient to knock the blockers out, and then applies the remaining damage to your opponent.

EDIT (4/25/2016): Removed redundant language related to regenerate example.
dmrulesteam

Return to Dice Masters Rules Questions