Absorbing Man Ol' Ball and Chain Clarifications

Ask your rules questions here!

Moderator: Dice Masters Mod

Absorbing Man Ol' Ball and Chain Clarifications

Postby ujamggp » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:45 pm

Absorbing Man Ol' Ball and Chain card text states:
While Absorbing Man is active, when a "when fielded" effect is used, you may use a copy of it.

1. Regarding characters that have a when field and a while active effect (Shriek Sonic Beam, Blob Appetite for Destruction, Morph Change of Heart, etc.) Would Absorbing man copy both the when fielded and while active effect?

2. If he copies the while active ability, does his die also maintain the effect or is the effect maintained by the originally fielded die?

3. Does Absorbing Man lose his previous copied ability when multiple when fielded effects occur? For example, if I field a Shriek Sonic Beams on my turn, triggering an additional blanking effect. My opponent fields Blob Appetite for Destruction on their turn, would Absorbing Man keep the Shriek effect and trigger the Blob effect or lose the Shriek effect and trigger the Blob effect?

4. For the purposes of game effects, when Absorbing Man's ability is triggered by a when fielded character ability, would the effect from an opponent's Absorbing Man be considered a "When fielded" ability and therefore be prevented by Madame Masque Nefaria's Schemes who While Madam Masque is active, your opponent's "When fielded" abilities do not trigger?
ujamggp

Re: Absorbing Man Ol' Ball and Chain Clarifications

Postby dmrulesteam » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:25 pm

ujamggp wrote:Absorbing Man Ol' Ball and Chain card text states:
While Absorbing Man is active, when a "when fielded" effect is used, you may use a copy of it.

1. Regarding characters that have a when field and a while active effect (Shriek Sonic Beam, Blob Appetite for Destruction, Morph Change of Heart, etc.) Would Absorbing man copy both the when fielded and while active effect?

2. If he copies the while active ability, does his die also maintain the effect or is the effect maintained by the originally fielded die?

3. Does Absorbing Man lose his previous copied ability when multiple when fielded effects occur? For example, if I field a Shriek Sonic Beams on my turn, triggering an additional blanking effect. My opponent fields Blob Appetite for Destruction on their turn, would Absorbing Man keep the Shriek effect and trigger the Blob effect or lose the Shriek effect and trigger the Blob effect?

4. For the purposes of game effects, when Absorbing Man's ability is triggered by a when fielded character ability, would the effect from an opponent's Absorbing Man be considered a "When fielded" ability and therefore be prevented by Madame Masque Nefaria's Schemes who While Madam Masque is active, your opponent's "When fielded" abilities do not trigger?

Characters like Leatherhead: I Guarantee! have an ability in two parts - When fielded, they're selecting or resetting their ability. While they're active, the ability is persisting. For abilities that follow this pattern, Absorbing Man would be able to make a selection, but do nothing with it since he only copies When fielded abilities.

Also, since Absorbing Man (or Warth, or Groot Thor) is making the selection, it won't replace any choices for the original character. If the character were able to use the When fielded ability twice somehow (like with Adam Warlock), the second choice would immediately overwrite the first and would functionally do nothing extra.

While this isn't an exhaustive list (and we probably won't maintain one), these are all examples of this ability pattern:
Blob: Appetite for Destruction
Deadman: Possessive Talents
Dwarf Wizard: Paragon Zhentarim
Hellcat: It's Patsy!
Leatherhead: I Guarantee!
Lex Luthor: Billionaire Industrialist
Lex Luthor: Citizen of Metropolis
Loki: Gem-Keeper
Loki: Master of Delusion
Mind Flayer: Greater Humanoid
Mystique: Shapeshifter
Rip Hunterâ„¢: Through the Vanishing Point
Scarecrow: Dr. Jonathan Crane
Thanos: Throwing Down the Gauntlet
The Joker: Clown Prince of Crime
The Jokerâ„¢: Mr. J

Card texts:

Absorbing Man: Ol' Ball and Chain

Adam Warlock: The Being Known As Him
While Adam Warlock is active, your character die's "When-fielded" effects trigger twice.

Groot Thor: I Am Thor!
When fielded, use a copy of each "when fielded" effect on every other character die in the Field Zone, (including your opponent's character dice.) Prevent all effects that would copy Groot Thor's abilities, even if he is not in the Field Zone.

Warth: Hope Burns Bright
When fielded, you may use the "when fielded" effect of one of your active characters.

Shriek: Sonic Beam
When fielded, choose an opposing character card, replacing all previous choices. While Shriek is active, ignore that card's text (including Global Abilities).

EDIT:
For the purposes of game effects, when Absorbing Man's ability is triggered by a when fielded character ability, would the effect from an opponent's Absorbing Man be considered a "When fielded" ability and therefore be prevented by Madame Masque Nefaria's Schemes who While Madam Masque is active, your opponent's "When fielded" abilities do not trigger?

Missed this part. First, if the When fielded ability wasn't used or didn't trigger, there would be nothing for Absorbing Man to copy. Second, if Absorbing Man tried to use an ability that would be prevented when he uses it, it would still be prevented (ie - Nefaria's Schemes would prevent him from selecting with Hellcat: It's Patsy! even if he can't use the remainder of the ability).

-The Dice Masters Rules Team
dmrulesteam

Return to Dice Masters Rules Questions