Villainous Pact Timing

Ask your rules questions here!

Moderator: Dice Masters Mod

Villainous Pact Timing

Postby general_nemesis » Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:18 pm

Hi there!

I have a question about the timing of Villainous Pact and when the 'non-villain character' that is permitted to block must be selected. Does that selection occur when Villainous Pact is played or during the attack step?

For example, if my opponent has no active characters when I play villainous pact, but they are able to field a character via the Collector or Mister Sinister globals afterwards, is that sidekick die permitted to block in the subsequent attack step?

Thanks!
general_nemesis

Re: Villainous Pact Timing

Postby dmrulesteam » Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:21 pm

The opponent would choose one non-Villains Character die when the Action die ability is used. If there are no opposing non-Villains Character dice when you use Villainous Pact, then the resolution of that portion of the ability would affect nothing.

However, the second sentence is a persistent effect. So, any non-Villains Character dice that comes into play after the Action die is used would be prevented from blocking. Your opponent would not be able to choose one of these non-Villains dice because that portion of the ability has been resolved.

Note, if Villainous Pact is used in the Attack Step, it would not prevent any non-Villains Character dice from blocking (assuming a second Attack Step is not initiated) because blockers would have already been declared.

In your example, if you used Villainous Pact in the Main Step and no opposing non-Villains Character dice were available, but then you pass priority and your opponent fields a non-Villains Character die with a Global ability, that die would not be able to block. If this was reversed (opposing Global ability first followed by the Action die ability), then your opponent could choose that non-Villains Character die to be a potential blocker.

Edited for grammar.
dmrulesteam

Return to Dice Masters Rules Questions