Invulnerability and Deadly

Ask your rules questions here!

Moderator: Dice Masters Mod

Invulnerability and Deadly

Postby cabzx » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:24 pm

Hello, my question concerns the BAC Invulnerability and the Keyword Deadly, and their interaction.

For reference:
Invulnerability wrote:Your attacking characters that are knocked out (this turn) return to the field.

Deadly wrote:Deadly: Character dice that are engaged with a character die that has Deadly are KO’d at the end of the turn (even if the character with Deadly has been KO’d or leaves the Field Zone).

If I play Invulnerability and then attack and my opponent blocks one of my characters with a character with deadly, what happens to the character, does it:

A. If the character is KO'd by combat damage, Invulnerability triggers after the combat damage is assigned and then returns the character to the field. Then at the end of the turn Deadly triggers and KO's the character.

A2. If the character is KO'd by combat damage, Invulnerability triggers after the combat damage is assigned and then returns the character to the field. Because the character was returned to the field, it is no longer under the effect of Deadly and it doesn't trigger a KO. (Reasoning: When the character was KO'd it went to the Prep Area then Invulnerability moved it from the Prep Area back to the field, so it was no longer engaged with the character with Deadly for Deadly to trigger.)

B. If the character is not KO'd by combat damage, Deadly triggers at the end of the turn, then, because the character attacked, Invulnerability triggers and returns the characters that were KO'd by Deadly to the field.

B2. Because the character was not attacking when Deadly triggered (i.e. it was Clean Up and not Attack Step), Invulnerability wouldn't trigger as the requesite of "attacking characters" was not met, so the character would be KO'd at the end of the turn.

Thank you!
cabzx

Re: Invulnerability and Deadly

Postby dmrulesteam » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:48 pm

cabzx wrote:Hello, my question concerns the BAC Invulnerability and the Keyword Deadly, and their interaction.

For reference:
Invulnerability wrote:Your attacking characters that are knocked out (this turn) return to the field.

Deadly wrote:Deadly: Character dice that are engaged with a character die that has Deadly are KO’d at the end of the turn (even if the character with Deadly has been KO’d or leaves the Field Zone).

If I play Invulnerability and then attack and my opponent blocks one of my characters with a character with deadly, what happens to the character, does it:

A. If the character is KO'd by combat damage, Invulnerability triggers after the combat damage is assigned and then returns the character to the field. Then at the end of the turn Deadly triggers and KO's the character.

A2. If the character is KO'd by combat damage, Invulnerability triggers after the combat damage is assigned and then returns the character to the field. Because the character was returned to the field, it is no longer under the effect of Deadly and it doesn't trigger a KO. (Reasoning: When the character was KO'd it went to the Prep Area then Invulnerability moved it from the Prep Area back to the field, so it was no longer engaged with the character with Deadly for Deadly to trigger.)

B. If the character is not KO'd by combat damage, Deadly triggers at the end of the turn, then, because the character attacked, Invulnerability triggers and returns the characters that were KO'd by Deadly to the field.

B2. Because the character was not attacking when Deadly triggered (i.e. it was Clean Up and not Attack Step), Invulnerability wouldn't trigger as the requesite of "attacking characters" was not met, so the character would be KO'd at the end of the turn.

Thank you!

Your assessment that characters are no longer attacking at the end of turn when Deadly would KO them is correct.

To address some other similar concerns about Deadly:
1) A character with Iron Will that hadn't taken damage wouldn't be KO'd by Deadly
2) A character with Regenerate would still be rerolled when KO'd by Deadly

-The Dice Masters Rules Team
dmrulesteam

Return to Dice Masters Rules Questions