Regenerate - Deadly interaction

Ask your rules questions here!

Moderator: Dice Masters Mod

Regenerate - Deadly interaction

Postby magic_miles » Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:00 pm

I am looking for clarification on a specific scenario. I suppose the keywords probably answer my question, but it felt really strange when I saw it in matches so I thought it was worth clarifying:

If a character with Regenerate and a character with Deadly are engaged and the Regenerate character would be knocked out when damage is resolved, they take their regenerate roll, get a character face, and return to the field zone. Do they then have to roll a second time when the turn officially ends, as the Deadly keyword indicates?

Again, it may be a dumb question or an obvious answer. It just seems odd, thematically, to "regenerate" but still be considered to have been engaged with any character.
magic_miles

Re: Regenerate - Deadly interaction

Postby dmrulesteam » Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:01 pm

Great question – appreciate you asking.

Short answer: yes, the Regenerate Character die must make a second roll because of Deadly.

Reference the Turn Order sequence:
Attack Step
1. Declare Attackers
2. Declare Blockers
3. Use Action Dice and Global abilities
4. Assign Combat Damage
5. Apply “when damaged” abilities
6. Resolve Damage and “when KO’d” abilities

Then the Clean-Up Step.

Per Rule 2.7.6.2:
If a Character die has the Regenerate keyword ability and that die is KO’d, apply the Regenerate ability immediately (effectively interrupting the resolution of damage).

This means that if the Character die with Regenerate is KO’d by combat damage or a KO ability other than Deadly, it would make the Regenerate roll in sub-step 6 of the Attack Step.

Per point (2) under the Deadly keyword (in Appendix 1):
Deadly is a Persistent ability. Therefore, it is resolved in the Clean Up Step.

Germane to the situation cited, the Regenerate Character die would make a second roll in the Clean-Up step to avoid the Deadly effect. This is also covered in point (3) under the Regenerate keyword (in Appendix 1):
A Character die with Regenerate would still be rerolled when KO’d by a Deadly keyword ability.

Thematically, think of the action as being stabbed with a poisoned blade. You apply a dressing to keep from bleeding to death (i.e. avoiding the potential KO from combat damage), but you’ll need a second treatment to survive the blade’s poison (i.e. avoiding the Deadly effect).
dmrulesteam

Return to Dice Masters Rules Questions