Thing - Brawn of the Team

Ask your rules questions here!

Moderator: Dice Masters Mod

Thing - Brawn of the Team

Postby jourdo2k3 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:03 pm

Quick question that I would like to get some official clarification on. Thing - Brawn of the Team reads:

When fielded, put a +1 attack and +1 defense token on each of your fantastic4 characters.

What would happen if you were able to temporarily give another character (either a Sidekick or another random character die) the Fantastic Four affiliation (with something like the Infiltrate Basic Action) and then fielded a Thing die?

A. The character will receive a permanent +1A/+1D buff for the rest of the game.
B. The character will receive the buff until they are removed from the field.
C. Nothing, as a previous ruling stated it would go in on character’s card (which does not get the temporary affiliation).

Would C change if it was a character with a card vs a Sidekick?

Thanks!
jourdo2k3

Re: Thing - Brawn of the Team

Postby dmrulesteam » Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:52 pm

Option C

Would C change if it was a character with a card vs a Sidekick?

If a Character card gains the Fantastic Four affiliation and while the Character card has that affiliation Thing is fielded, the Character card would receive a +1A/+1D token. The token would remain on that card until an ability removes it. Once gained, the continued application of the token is not dependent on that card maintaining the Fantastic Four affiliation.
dmrulesteam

Postby jourdo2k3 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:38 pm

Just to be completely clear then with the above example...

The BAC Infiltrate states:

Target character gets +3D and gains one Team affiliation of your choice until end of turn.

I believe this wording refers to giving the character die the affiliation (in this case FF). Because this only affects the die and not the card, Thing would not give the stat bump to the character I have used this action on. Correct?

Thanks!
jourdo2k3

Postby ccm00007 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:17 pm

Follow-up question.

The original question asked about using the Infiltrate Basic Action Card, which has the following ability text:

Target character gets +3D and gains one Team affiliation of your choice until end of turn.

From your response to the question, are we to understand that Infiltrate gives +3D and the chosen affiliation to the character card and not just to one die?

If that is the case, how does this reconcile with the ruling on the Iron Man global from UXM, which, with the same wording ("Target character..."), only gives the affiliation to one chosen die? (https://win.wizkids.com/bb/viewtopic.ph ... 5903#p4410)

Thank you for your time.
ccm00007

Postby dmrulesteam » Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:49 pm

I believe this wording refers to giving the character die the affiliation (in this case FF). Because this only affects the die and not the card, Thing would not give the stat bump to the character I have used this action on. Correct?

Correct.
dmrulesteam

Postby dmrulesteam » Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:50 pm

From your response to the question, are we to understand that Infiltrate gives +3D and the chosen affiliation to the character card and not just to one die?

No. Infiltrate targets a Character die, not a Character card.
dmrulesteam

Return to Dice Masters Rules Questions