Ronin: Lone Warrior

Ask your rules questions here!

Moderator: Dice Masters Mod

Postby jackalopespam » Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:33 pm

While Ronin is active, once per turn, you may KO a Ronin die you control to prevent all damage from one source to your or a character die you control.

Suppose my opponent attacks with 2 characters. I block one with Ronin and leave the other unblocked.

Would I be able to KO Ronin to prevent the damage from the unblocked character die?

When would that KO occur? When damage is assigned or preemptively?

If it is when damage is assigned, can Ronin still deal their A back to the blocked die first?
jackalopespam

Re: Ronin: Lone Warrior

Postby dmrulesteam » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:39 pm

Would I be able to KO Ronin to prevent the damage from the unblocked character die?

Yes.

When would that KO occur?

Ronin may be KO’d in the Use Action Dice and Global Abilities sub-step of the Attack Step. Refer to the following ruling on Black Swan (point 4):
https://win.wizkids.com/bb/viewtopic.ph ... 52fbc5b181

When damage is assigned or preemptively?

In this scenario, Ronin’s ability is preemptively resolved before the combat damage is assigned.

If it is when damage is assigned, can Ronin still deal their A back to the blocked die first?

This question is not applicable based on the above answers.

Further explanation.

In review, the Attack Step has six sub-steps:
1. Declare Attackers
2. Declare Blockers
3. Use Action Dice and Global abilities
4. Assign Combat Damage
5. Apply “when damaged” abilities
6. Resolve Damage and “when KO’d” abilities

For the scenario provided above, in order to prevent the application of combat damage by the unblocked attacker, Ronin would have to be KO’d in the Use Action Dice and Global Abilities (sub-step 3 of the Attack Step) as established in the cited Black Swan ruling. Therefore, Ronin would not be active when combat damage is assigned in sub-step 4 of the Attack Step. Ronin would neither deal nor receive combat damage, but has been declared as a blocker and would stop any non-Overcrush damage from the attacker he was assigned to block. Refer to the following rules:
Rule 2.7.1.8 An attacker that is KO’d by ability damage before the Assign Combat Damage sub-step will not deal its combat damage.

Rule 2.7.2.4 Once an attacker is blocked, it is considered blocked until the end of the Attack step, even if its blocker is subsequently removed from the Attack Zone (i.e. once blocked, always blocked).

Rule 2.7.4.3.2 If the attacker is blocked, but the blocker was subsequently removed by an ability, the attacker is still considered to be blocked and will not deal combat damage to the Inactive player (once blocked, always blocked). Likewise, a removed blocker will not assign its Attack value in damage to the attacker. An exception is the application of Overcrush damage.

The result of this scenario at the end of turn is:
- - Ronin goes to its Prep Area (because he was KO’d)
- - the attacker Ronin blocked does no damage and returns to its Field Zone
- - the unblocked attacker does no damage and is moved to its Used Pile

In addition, because, unlike Black Swan, Ronin prevents all damage (i.e. both ability and combat damage) from one source, he could be KO’d in the Use Action Dice and Global Abilities portion of the Main Step. In this situation Ronin acts as an interrupting ability, meaning that the controlling player can pay the cost (the KO of Ronin) when the ability damage is initiated to prevent the ability damage before it is resolved. Refer to the following rule:
Rule 3.2.8 Only abilities that would prevent, reduce, or redirect an ability can interrupt the queue. An interrupting ability happens simultaneously, potentially preventing other abilities in the queue from initiating.
dmrulesteam

Postby rawtravel » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:33 pm

In addition, because, unlike Black Swan, Ronin prevents all damage (i.e. both ability and combat damage) from one source, he could be KO’d in the Use Action Dice and Global Abilities portion of the Main Step.

Doesn't this conflict with this from Comprehensive Rule?

3.4.9.11 An ability that prevents, redirects, or reduces damage considers ability (i.e. non-combat) and combat damage each as a separate sources. A Character die that can deal both types of damage is not the ‘source’ in this situation.

{See answer at the bottom of this thread.}
rawtravel

Postby jackalopespam » Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:32 am

Can you elaborate on the difference in usage between combat and non-combat damage? You've indicated that Ronin needs to be used during the global and action substep of attacking, before the combat damage is even applied. However, Ronin must be used as an interupt when preventing non-combat damage.

Specifically why is one usage seemingly preemptive and the other reactive in nature? Could you still KO Ronin before the non-combat damage is applied?

Further, could you KO Ronin during the Main Step before attackers are even assigned to prevent a specific die's potential combat damage?
jackalopespam

Postby dmrulesteam » Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:16 pm

Can you elaborate on the difference in usage between combat and non-combat damage? Specifically why is one usage seemingly preemptive and the other reactive in nature?

Combat damage can only occur within the Attack Step, which has a strict order of application. Once the Attack Step is started, the predominant conclusion is the dealing of combat damage. Due to this construct, the prevention of combat damage creates a preemptive situation for the resolution of such abilities. In other words, within the Attack Step Ronin knows combat damage will occur and can use his ability to prevent combat damage from a single Character die. Rulings have established the Use Action Dice and Global Abilities sub-step is when such prevention abilities for combat damage can be applied.

Non-combat (or ability) damage can occur almost anywhere in the turn order sequence (e.g. by the creation of a specific game state, in response to an action or ability, when a cost is paid, et.al.). Ronin does not know when this damage will occur and can only prevent the damage once it is initiated, i.e. a reactive situation. The previous ruling stated Ronin could be (not ‘has to be’) KO’d in the Use Action Dice and Global Abilities portion of the Main Step. However, any non-combat damage dealt anywhere in the turn order sequence can be immediately prevented (i.e. interrupted) and does not have to wait for a particular portion of the turn sequence to occur (as per the previously cited Rule 3.2.8).

Could you still KO Ronin before the non-combat damage is applied?

The answer to this question is yes and was stated in the initial ruling (refer to underlined portion): ”Ronin acts as an interrupting ability, meaning that the controlling player can pay the cost (the KO of Ronin) when the ability damage is initiated to prevent the ability damage before it is resolved."

For completeness, based on the above explanation for reactive situations, the question “could you still KO Ronin before non-combat damage is initiated?”, the answer is no.

Further, could you KO Ronin during the Main Step before attackers are even assigned to prevent a specific die's potential combat damage?

No, based on the above elaborations on combat and non-combat damage.
dmrulesteam

Postby dmrulesteam » Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:17 pm

No. The statement “Ronin prevents all damage (i.e. both ability and combat damage) from one source” or the wording in Ronin’s ability are not meant to imply Ronin’s ability is an exception to Rule 3.4.9.11. His ability can prevent either the ability damage or the combat damage from a Character die – not both.
dmrulesteam

Return to Dice Masters Rules Questions