D&D Experience

Ask your rules questions here!

Moderator: Dice Masters Mod

D&D Experience

Postby comicconnection » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:53 am

Greetings!!

Simple Question:

If an adventurer knocks out a monster but is itself knocked out in the process, does it still gain experience? And does it gain experience ONLY when attacking, or does it gain experience if it KOs a monster while defending as well?

Thanks
comicconnection

Re: D&D Experience

Postby dmrulesteam » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:17 pm

Short answers:
No, no, and no (you can only gain Experience during your turn).

Here is a much more detailed Q/A from another thread:
dmrulesteam wrote:
morrisonmp wrote:The Experience Ability is very confusing.

Experience: While active, if you knocked out an opposing monster (that is, a character with the black Monster allegiance banner) during your turn, place one experience token on this card at the end of your turn (use a coin or glass bead). Each experience token provides this card’s dice with +1A and +1D at all levels. A card cannot get more than one experience token per turn. However, several different cards (each with the Experience ability) can each get an experience token when only a single opposing monster is knocked out. Monsters knocked out during your opponent’s turn do not provide experience tokens. Knocking out NPCs and other adventurers likewise does not provide experience tokens; only knocking out monsters. If your opponent voluntarily sacrifices a creature to power one of his own effects, that also provides no experience.

This creates several questions:

1. Does the "you" (in the first sentence) refer to a specific creature die (that is, the one engaged die in an attack)?
2. If so, how can "several different cards (each with the Experience ability) can each get an experience token when only a single opposing monster is knocked out."?
3. Does the attacking character have to survive the attack in order to gain the Experience token? That is, if it is also knocked out when damage is resolved, it is no longer "active" and so would it get the token?
4. Are experience tokens gained through this ability ever removed from the card?

5. Final question (refers back to #2). If multiple characters with the Experience Ability are in the Field Zone (or attacking) - say a Halfling Thief and a Human Paladin - and the Human Paladin knocks out a monster - does the Halfling Thief also gain an Experience token even if it did not attack the monster that was knocked out?

The Experience Ability feels extremely powerful depending on the interpretation of the wording of the power and the answers to these questions.

Thank you for your help.

Experience is a really cool mechanic. Here are some answers:

1) No, it refers to you as the player and your character dice.
2) If my Elf Wizard and Human Paladin are both in play when I KO my opponent's Zombie with a Magic Missile, and they are both in play at the end of the turn, they'll both get an Experience token for "watching" the KO.
3) If I have 2 Human Paladins, and one is KO'd by an opposing monster (and that monster is KO'd by my Human Paladin), my Human Paladin card would get an Experience token if the 2nd die was still in play at the end of the turn.
4) They aren't removed unless a game effect specifically says so.
5) See #2.

-The Dice Masters Rules Team
dmrulesteam

Return to Dice Masters Rules Questions