Zombi and Breath weapon

Ask your rules questions here!

Moderator: Dice Masters Mod

Zombi and Breath weapon

Postby dond72 » Sat May 09, 2015 8:21 pm

Hi,

If I use a breath weapon from one of my dragons in the attack step and Zombie lesser undead is killed, whe do I reroll it? Should I reroll it inmediately and be able to block with it? Should I reroll it in the clean up step?

Thanks
dond72

Re: Zombi and Breath weapon

Postby dmrulesteam » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:29 am

If I use a breath weapon from one of my dragons in the attack step and Zombie lesser undead is killed, when do I reroll it? Should I reroll it immediately and be able to block with it? Should I reroll it in the clean up step?

We assume for the purposes of your question that you intended to have the attacking dragon and the defending Zombie controlled by opposing players rather than by the same player.

A Breath Weapon ability triggers as soon as the relevant dragon is declared as an attacker. This means that the Breath Weapon damage resolves, and knocks out the Zombie, during the “select attackers” portion of the Attack Step.

The Zombie’s ability triggers as soon as it is knocked out. It would be immediately rolled and returned to the field if it rolled a character fact. This would also occur during the “select attackers” portion of the Attack Step.

As a result, all interactions between the Breath Weapon and the Zombie’s ability would be completed before the “select blockers” portion of the Attack Step began. Thus, if the Zombie was KO’d by a Breath Weapon and then rolled a character face, it would be available to block during that same Attack Step.

The relevant text from the card and rulebook is as follows:

Zombie – Lesser Undead:
After a Zombie is knocked out in an attack step, roll that die. If you roll a character face, return it to the field; otherwise place it in your prep area.

Dungeons & Dragons Dice Masters: Battle for Faerûn Rulebook Page 18:
Breath Weapon X: When this character’s dice are assigned to attack, you may pay X energy to deal X damage to your opponent and to each opposing character. Thus Breath Weapon 2 means “When this character’s dice are assigned to attack, you may pay 2 energy to deal 2 damage to your opponent and to each opposing character.” You may only use this ability once per turn, no matter how many of that character’s dice attack. However, if multiple characters with the Breath Weapon ability attack, you may use Breath Weapon once for each such character.

Dice Masters: Battle for Faerûn Rulebook Recap Page:
Attack Step
Select attackers. Resolve effects that occur due to attacking.
Assign blockers. Resolve effects that occur due to blocking.

-The Dice Masters Rules Team
dmrulesteam

Return to Dice Masters Rules Questions