Expanding Starting Areas

Ask your rules questions here!

Moderator: HeroClix Mods

Expanding Starting Areas

Postby joepanc » Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:04 am

4.3a Expanding Starting Areas
In some cases, a player’s starting force may not fit in their chosen starting area. If so, the players will expand their starting areas. The expansion of a starting area is only to be used when a player has filled all possible squares in their starting area without placing all
of their figures. When placing game elements, the largest multi-base game elements must be placed first, and then the next largest, etc., until you are placing single-base figures. Multi-based characters must be placed in such a way that as much of their base as possible is in the starting area.

For 16x16 square maps, a player must attempt to fit all game elements along their starting edge, regardless of how they personally want to set up their force. The player must fit in all their game elements as best as possible.

If a player can fit all their starting game elements into their starting area in any possible configuration, they may not expand their starting area. A player can only expand their starting area if, after completely filling in their starting area as fully as possible, they still
have game elements left to be placed.

I am playing G001a Galactus who is a 3x6 base on a 16x16 map at 100 points. I have at least two other single base characters on my force. When placing figures, will my starting area be expanded?
joepanc

Re: Expanding Starting Areas

Postby hcrulesteam » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:47 am

joepanc wrote:I am playing G001a Galactus who is a 3x6 base on a 16x16 map at 100 points. I have at least two other single base characters on my force. When placing figures, will my starting area be expanded?

For 16x16 maps, you may only expand your starting area if all legal squares along the back edge are able to be completely filled with figures. A multi-base figure extending out from the starting edge would not allow you to expand your starting area. If you do fill your starting edge and expand, you may only expand into the next row if the previous row has also been filled (for example, you may not expand into row 3 unless row 2 is also filled).
hcrulesteam

Return to HeroClix Rules Questions