Rare Dwarf Wizard: Paragon Zhentarim clarificatio

Ask your rules questions here!

Moderator: Dice Masters Mod

Rare Dwarf Wizard: Paragon Zhentarim clarificatio

Postby pk2317 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:18 pm

Card text:
Dwarf Wizard: Paragon Zhentarim (FUS #113) wrote:Experience

When fielded, target a character die. While Dwarf Wizard is active, copies of that character die in the Field Zone have no text. If you field another Dwarf Wizard die, target a new die, cancelling all previous choices.

I have a few questions about how this card is intended to work:
  1. "Target a character die" - based on rulebook text, only fielded character dice can be "targeted" by effects. Can you please confirm that I can only select a die that has a copy in the field, and not one that is in the Bag/Prep/Bag/Card, etc?
  2. "While Dwarf Wizard is active" - if I have two active Dwarf Wizards, does it matter which one created the effect or will it be maintained until both Dwarf Wizards leave the Field?
  3. "Copies of that character die" - based on the rulebook, several rulings, and the FAQ, my characters and my opponents characters are different for game purposes, even if we brought the same card/dice. If I have, say, Constantine: Hellblazer and my opponent does as well, would my Constantine(s) be blanked?
  4. "in the Field Zone" - does this mean that card which can "field for free" from the Reserve Pool would still maintain that ability? And cards with abilities like Fabricate would still work?
  5. "have no text" - does this include Global Abilities? Or only character abilities? Does it make any difference if my opponent only brought 1 die for the card?
  6. "target a new die, cancelling all previous choices" - am I allowed to re-target the same character or do I have to choose a different one?
  7. If all copies of that character die leave the Field Zone, does that end the effect, or is the effect maintained by Dwarf Wizard until Dwarf Wizard is removed?
  8. If I temporarily blank Dwarf Wizard's text with some ability (Prismatic Spray, Slander, etc.), does it end it entirely or will the ability still be maintained when Dwarf Wizard's text returns (as long as he was active the entire time)?
  9. If one or more of my character dice are protected from being affected by opposing abilities (by Magic Helmet, Half-Elf Bard: Apprentice Order of the Gauntlet, etc.), are those dice still able to be targeted for selection? Do they maintain their text while other copies are wiped?
  10. If I take control of an opponent's character that has had its text wiped, does it have its abilities while I control it?

Thank you for taking the time to clear up how this card works!
pk2317

Re: Rare Dwarf Wizard: Paragon Zhentarim clarificatio

Postby dmrulesteam » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:53 pm

Here are the answers, in-line with the questions. We can't cover every corner case, but hope there is reasonable interpolation.

1. "Target a character die" - based on rulebook text, only fielded character dice can be "targeted" by effects. Can you please confirm that I can only select a die that has a copy in the field, and not one that is in the Bag/Prep/Bag/Card, etc?
Dwarf Wizard can only target character dice that are in the Field Zone, as you expect from the rulebook and other precedent.
2. "While Dwarf Wizard is active" - if I have two active Dwarf Wizards, does it matter which one created the effect or will it be maintained until both Dwarf Wizards leave the Field?
If you have 2 Dwarf Wizard dice in the Field Zone, it doesn’t matter which one created the effect: the effect persists until all of your Dwarf Wizard dice are out of the Field Zone.
3. "Copies of that character die" - based on the rulebook, several rulings, and the FAQ, my characters and my opponents characters are different for game purposes, even if we brought the same card/dice. If I have, say, Constantine: Hellblazer and my opponent does as well, would my Constantine(s) be blanked?
Your Constantine would not be blanked.
4. "in the Field Zone" - does this mean that card which can "field for free" from the Reserve Pool would still maintain that ability? And cards with abilities like Fabricate would still work?
That is correct.
5. "have no text" - does this include Global Abilities? Or only character abilities? Does it make any difference if my opponent only brought 1 die for the card?
Yes, this includes Global Abilities. It doesn’t make a difference if your opponent only brought one die for the card.
6. "target a new die, cancelling all previous choices" - am I allowed to re-target the same character or do I have to choose a different one?
You may target any active die.
7. If all copies of that character die leave the Field Zone, does that end the effect, or is the effect maintained by Dwarf Wizard until Dwarf Wizard is removed?
The effect remains until Dwarf Wizard is no longer active.
8. If I temporarily blank Dwarf Wizard's text with some ability (Prismatic Spray, Slander, etc.), does it end it entirely or will the ability still be maintained when Dwarf Wizard's text returns (as long as he was active the entire time)?
Dwarf Wizard “remembers” what was picked when his text comes back.
9. If one or more of my character dice are protected from being affected by opposing abilities (by Magic Helmet, Half-Elf Bard: Apprentice Order of the Gauntlet, etc.), are those dice still able to be targeted for selection? Do they maintain their text while other copies are wiped?
Half-Elf Bard would protect qualifying dice. Magic Helmet: Greater Gear would also protect the die it is equipped to. Protected copies keep their text while others are wiped.
10. If I take control of an opponent's character that has had its text wiped, does it have its abilities while I control it?
Its abilities are wiped when you take control of it, even if you have that same card on your team.

Furthermore – If your Dwarf Wizard die would be removed (for example, via Imprisoned), then a new copy enters with its ability ignored (for example, via Constantine), and your original Dwarf Wizard returns (after the turn where Constantine applied), that original Dwarf Wizard’s text would be remembered.

-The Dice Masters Rules Team
dmrulesteam

Postby dmrulesteam » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:57 pm

dmrulesteam wrote:Here are the answers, in-line with the questions. We can't cover every corner case, but hope there is reasonable interpolation.

Dwarf Wizard can only target character dice that are in the Field Zone, as you expect from the rulebook and other precedent.
If you have 2 Dwarf Wizard dice in the Field Zone, it doesn’t matter which one created the effect: the effect persists until all of your Dwarf Wizard dice are out of the Field Zone.
Your Constantine would not be blanked.
That is correct.
Yes, this includes Global Abilities. It doesn’t make a difference if your opponent only brought one die for the card.
You may target any active die.
The effect remains until Dwarf Wizard is no longer active.
Dwarf Wizard “remembers” what was picked when his text comes back.
Half-Elf Bard would protect qualifying dice. Magic Helmet: Greater Gear would also protect the die it is equipped to. Protected copies keep their text while others are wiped.
Its abilities are wiped when you take control of it, even if you have that same card on your team.

Furthermore – If your Dwarf Wizard die would be removed (for example, via Imprisoned), then a new copy enters with its ability ignored (for example, via Constantine), and your original Dwarf Wizard returns (after the turn where Constantine applied), that original Dwarf Wizard’s text would be remembered.

The prior ruling regarding Global Abilities (point number 5) is overturned. Dwarf Wizard's ability does not remove or otherwise affect Global Abilities on the card of the targeted character.
dmrulesteam

Postby dmrulesteam » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:13 am

We've received some further questions on Dwarf Wizard that we wanted to clarify.

1) Would a "While active" effect that ignores Dwarf Wizard's text prevent him from using his "When fielded" ability?
Yes - he would effectively not have an ability to use.
2) Would a "While active" effect that reduces Dwarf Wizard's defense 0 KO him before his "When fielded" ability could be used?
No - so he might temporarily ignore another character's ability, and immediately be KO'd, or he might choose to blank the character die that would cause him to be KO'd, "saving" himself in effect.

dmrulesteam

Return to Dice Masters Rules Questions